PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing question

tonyreef
03/22/2010, 09:46 AM
Starting up a 75gal reef and was wondering if on the return line from an external pump is vinyl tubing OK or is PVC recommended?

CyCLoBoT
03/22/2010, 10:27 AM
I think it should be okay to use vinyl tubing for return line. My 90G tank will be set up in similar way as well. I have seen many tanks where people have used vinyl tubing. But one advantage I can think of with PVC is that you can put a valve to stop water from siphoning back in to the sump if you do turn off the pump for maintenance.

IslandCrow
03/22/2010, 11:30 AM
PVC is more common, but I don't see any specific issues with vinyl tubing either.

Playa-1
03/22/2010, 12:24 PM
I think tubing is ok, but I would recommend using the reinforced tubing if you go that route.

Fizz71
03/22/2010, 12:35 PM
+1 on the reinforced tubing, but I would NOT recommend tubing alone. You are going to need to clean the pump and that means detaching the tubing. Flexible tubing does eventually get rigid and will be increasingly more difficult to seal if you constantly remove it and replate it. When I used flex I went to a PCV ball union FIRST, then went to flex. It was a closed loop, but it's the same concept...I could remove the pump without having to remove the actual tubing connection.

hblmobile
03/22/2010, 01:04 PM
I personally have used both for return lines. I like the look of the neat, clean lines PVC offers and the fact that you can add things like unions and valves. The vinyl tubing has been my personal favorite. The flexibility and ease of installation/removal are big pluses in my book. As mentioned earlier though, I would change the tubing at least once a year though as it tends to get dirtier, harder and get brittle, and the ends of the tubing definitely loosen every time you attach/remove a fitting.