PDA

View Full Version : Tank Dismantling????

HOBrien
03/22/2010, 10:45 AM
Well I have ran into a few things that I would like to get some input on.

1st. The tank is an old DAS tank that has the false canopy style wood around the top of the tank and I was wondering what would be the best way to remove it from the tank as it seems to be glues to the glass?

2nd. Nest what would yall suggest to use to seperate each pane of glass from each other?

der_wille_zur_macht
03/22/2010, 10:51 AM
I find the following helpful when dismantling tanks:

1) Leather work gloves. It sucks to slice your hands up.
2) Heavy-duty utility knife with lots of new blades
3) Piece of guitar string or other steel wire wrapped around two thick dowels to act as handles.
4) Waaaaaaaaay more patience and elbow grease than I'm likely to have at any one point in time. :D

HOBrien
03/22/2010, 11:03 AM
I find the following helpful when dismantling tanks:

1) Leather work gloves. It sucks to slice your hands up.
2) Heavy-duty utility knife with lots of new blades
3) Piece of guitar string or other steel wire wrapped around two thick dowels to act as handles.
4) Waaaaaaaaay more patience and elbow grease than I'm likely to have at any one point in time. :D

so would you do it that same for removing the wood false canopy?

der_wille_zur_macht
03/22/2010, 11:04 AM
Not really sure what you mean by a "false canopy" - maybe someone else can chime in or you can post pics. . .

HOBrien
03/22/2010, 11:10 AM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/hobrien_photos/Fish/Picture059.jpg
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/hobrien_photos/Fish/Picture058.jpg

coralnut99
03/22/2010, 11:37 AM
I don't think I've ever seen a tank with a "canopy" like that before. Do you know what brand it is?

From the look of it, it may just be an "extended version" of the same plastic trim that covers stock tanks, but yours seems to have glass center braces also?

If all you're trying to do is remove that top trim, you'll need a thin knife with a flexible blade. With lots of patience and great care, you can wedge the knife between the trim and the glass working all around the perimeter until the silicone bead is completely severed. Key words: patience and great care.

I'm a bit confused as to why you want to dismantle the tank itself; is it leaking? If that's the case, #3 suggested above usually works in a hearbeat. But that's just the beginning of your journey. I've dismantled a bunch of tanks over the years, and to be honest I don't have that kind of time on my hands anymore.

dahenley
03/22/2010, 12:46 PM
all old DAS tanks are like that.

the wood is attached to my tank with silicone. (one piece had to be re attached not to long ago.

(i thought someone bought that tank? i was going to, but was told someone beat me to it.)

as for taking the glass apart, go to harbor freight and buy a 100 razor blades. you can slide them in one right after the other. when thats done, you can pull them out, and get those long utility knives, and run them after that. you should be able to pull them apart after that.

HOBrien
03/22/2010, 05:16 PM
it was going to be bought but he couldnt get it for another 2 or 3 weeks and said if i get the chance to redo this tank to go ahead and do it.

The false canopy is off along with the bracing and just letting my sylicone eater to sit for a bit then i will remove the panels

dahenley
03/22/2010, 06:50 PM
cool. let me know if you make a build thread.
i want to watch!!

HOBrien
03/22/2010, 07:27 PM
Done!!!!