PDA

View Full Version : Filter socks

3djedi
03/22/2010, 12:18 PM
I bought 5 socks so I could change them out once a week and wash them at the end of the month. At the end of the month I opened the container of used socks and was nearly floored by the stench! They were all moldy and nasty. How should they be stored? I was thinking maybe a bucket of water with a little bleach? Or vinegar? I took the socks full of stank to the laundry mat, started the wash and went to lunch. When I came back my socks were gone! Some homeless guy is probably wearing my filter socks! They seem to hang out at this particular place. But anyway the main question is how to store these bad boys between washings?

sean A.
03/22/2010, 12:37 PM
i put mine in a 5 gallon bucket with no lid until i only have one left that is clean then i throw them into the washer machine.

BLKTANG
03/22/2010, 12:39 PM
I use a 3g bucket with 2 cups of bleach.Every 4 days i rince throughly,& repeat the process.Been doing this for years with no problems.RINCE WELL.

Chi6488
03/22/2010, 01:51 PM
I store in one of the five gallon I use to change water. It/they sit outside until I use the 4th one and then wash 3 with about a cap of bleach. I change socks about once every 3 days

Playa-1
03/22/2010, 02:45 PM
I just throw mine in an open 5gal bucket and wash them when they are all dirty. I've never had a problem with Odor from the bucket.

3djedi
03/22/2010, 02:47 PM
I just throw mine in an open 5gal bucket and wash them when they are all dirty. I've never had a problem with Odor from the bucket.

Is the bucket full of water or you just throw them in an empty bucket?

jc-reef
03/22/2010, 02:56 PM
I use micron filter pads (similar material) and just keep em in an empty open container/bucket and when I have a nice collection, I pre-rinse with my garden hose on driveway and throw into washer add a little bleach and I'm good to go. If you add a lot of bleach, you may want to rinse again...and use PLAIN bleach. Let air dry for a couple days to allow any left over bleach to evaporate. :thumbsup:

capnfritz
03/22/2010, 03:55 PM
I dont use socks anymore, instead I have two permanent coffee filters. They rinse out easily under the faucet, dont wear out, dont introduce phosphates. Cant leach anything cause they are all plastic (including the mesh).Change out in seconds, as often as I want.Yeah,the size particles that get through is probably slightly larger than a sock, but you wouldnt know judging from water clarity.

3djedi
03/22/2010, 04:03 PM
I dont use socks anymore, instead I have two permanent coffee filters. They rinse out easily under the faucet, dont wear out, dont introduce phosphates. Cant leach anything cause they are all plastic (including the mesh).Change out in seconds, as often as I want.Yeah,the size particles that get through is probably slightly larger than a sock, but you wouldnt know judging from water clarity.

Aren't coffee filters paper? Sorry I don't drink coffee. Sound interesting could you show a pic?

capnfritz
03/22/2010, 04:09 PM
Not the paper ones, but the permanent ones. All plastic. At Wal Mart for about 3 bucks.

chrissu
07/01/2010, 09:58 PM
I'll have to give the plastic coffee filter idea a try. Seems like a low maintenance plan. . Thanks!