PDA

View Full Version : How much flow...

Barfly
03/22/2010, 07:00 PM
How much flow can you have with out the sand blowing everywhere?

Want to go BB, but after researching this site, it might need more maintenance that a conventional sandbed. I'm worried about getting enough flow without disturbing the sandbed.

Dutch06
03/22/2010, 07:10 PM
I have about a 60x turnover rate with really, really fine grade sand. When you first turn it on, it's going to blow everywhere until it settles. I have also read once bacteria colonize the sand it will become heavier and weigh it down some. (I have no idea if thats true.)

I would turn on all your powerheads, make sure none are pointing directly at the sandbed and wait. It could take up to 48 hours to truly settle. Once you feel like it's calmed down, go in with a turkey baster and blast the "settled" sand off your rocks. It will stir it up again but eventually it will all calm down. Mine still blows from time to time and my tank has been up in its current state for over a year. Good luck.

Barfly
03/22/2010, 07:55 PM
Thanks Dutch.

How deep is your sandbed?

Aquarist007
03/22/2010, 08:18 PM
How big is your tank. The preferred range of flow is between 20 andd 40 times the tank volume in gph

Barfly
03/22/2010, 08:39 PM
Tank is 125g. I want to put that much flow into the tank, but when I tried to do that before, my sand bed went EVERYWHERE. This is going to be a new setup and I'm thinking I will do it bare bottom.

Manwolf
03/23/2010, 04:35 PM
it also depends on what type of sand. I have macros sand and it blows around pretty easily and its a pain...

Aquarist007
03/23/2010, 04:37 PM
Tank is 125g. I want to put that much flow into the tank, but when I tried to do that before, my sand bed went EVERYWHERE. This is going to be a new setup and I'm thinking I will do it bare bottom.

try putting the power head low in the tank and aim it up