PDA

View Full Version : Once and for all, help me with the differences between cinnamon/tomato clowns

Tuscaquatics
03/22/2010, 07:49 PM
I've had what I've always thought was a cinnamon clown for about 7 or 8 months now. I've been thinking about trying to pair him/her, probably her from what I've read, with another cinnamon. But at my LFS I saw what I thought was another cinnamon and a guy there told me it was a tomato. So now he has my head all twisted.

How does one tell them apart? I always thought the cinnamon's body was darker and black while the tomato was more pure orange.

And while we're at it, what are my chances of successfully pairing another cinnamon/tomato with mine? I've read that a single, young clown kept without another for a long period of time eventually becomes a female. Am I wrong? So based on that I figure I could get a smaller one and the original should force him to submit and become male. Let me know if I have it mixed up.

burntchrisp
03/22/2010, 07:55 PM
Cinnamon's fins are more yellowish and from what I've read it's almost impossible to get clowns to pair.

Tuscaquatics
03/22/2010, 08:04 PM
Cinnamon's fins are more yellowish and from what I've read it's almost impossible to get clowns to pair.

Oh come on, man, it's not impossible to get clowns to pair. It might be difficult but I've read about plenty of people making it happen.

Tahoe Reefer
03/22/2010, 08:41 PM
You should be able to pair your fish if you follow a few simple steps. First i'd get a definite identification on the fish you have. This fish is most likely female and even if it's not it will be the dominat fish. Second, get a small fish, a juvenile between 4-6 months should do nicely. You can try introducing the new fish in a breeder basket to give them barrier for their first encounter. When you do release the new fish into the tank make sure it's as far as you can get from the females host.
Good luck.