PDA

View Full Version : How to add live sand to old?

moseynme
03/22/2010, 10:43 PM
Hi all. I've had the TBS package for about 3 yrs now (still loving it too) and would like to top off with some new LS from Richard...

Has anyone else done this? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to go about it? I would like to be prepared and set up before new sand and CUC arrives.

Thanks in advance! :)

noahm
03/23/2010, 09:54 AM
Are you just adding new, or taking some old out as well?

If it is just adding, then probably throw the wand in a bucket with a couple gallons of SW. Swirl it around real good until you get all the dust into suspension and pour it off. Then, I would use a large PVC (maybe 1-1/2" diameter tube and some kind of a large funnel (make one out of 2 liter and duct tape or something), and pour the sand down the tube to where you want it. You can also do it carefully in a bowl and slowly pour it out once you get to the bottom. Either way, expect some cloudiness for a day.

If you are removing some, I would just vacuum off the top 1/2" or so and replace it.

liverock
03/23/2010, 11:36 AM
Are you just adding new, or taking some old out as well?

If it is just adding, then probably throw the wand in a bucket with a couple gallons of SW. Swirl it around real good until you get all the dust into suspension and pour it off. Then, I would use a large PVC (maybe 1-1/2" diameter tube and some kind of a large funnel (make one out of 2 liter and duct tape or something), and pour the sand down the tube to where you want it. You can also do it carefully in a bowl and slowly pour it out once you get to the bottom. Either way, expect some cloudiness for a day.

If you are removing some, I would just vacuum off the top 1/2" or so and replace it.

What he ^ said...

Richard TBS:lolspin::lolspin::lolspin:
www.tbsaltwater.com

moseynme
03/23/2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks noahm! I am planning on just adding it on top of what I have, so will do as you have said...no problems there...

I will be receiving a CUC replacement at the same time. Will the cloudiness be anything to worry 'bout because of that? How long after adding new sand can I add the CUC stuff? Are there any other things I should be aware of?

Thanks again for your help!

noahm
03/24/2010, 10:32 AM
The cloudiness shouldn't present a problem. It will settle out, but in the meantime it shouldn't affect the cuc. By the time you acclimate the CUC, there will only be ultra fine particles left in suspension, so just put em in after they're acclimated. Your skimmer might go into overdrive for a bit. Sometimes the ocean is pretty cloudy...

WhiteReef
03/25/2010, 11:49 AM
I recently did this, and it worked just fine. However, I highly recommend that you remove the top layer (1/4 - 1 inch). The reason is that you have bacteria and other life that lives in that range. When you add the new sand on top of it you will kill some of the bacteria and life. This can cause a spike in your water parameters. Note: my tank has about a 4" sand bed, and my plan was to replace about the top 1 inch. Also if you are only adding about 1/4 of sand to your existing tank, then the removal of the top layer is not as necessary.

Steps that I took when I added mine, and what I used.
1- used a bowl and ladle to scoop out about the top 1 inch of sand, and sold it to a fellow club member that was starting a new tank.
2- cleaned up the sand as described by pouring off the 'dirty' water, and used the bowl to move the sand a bowl full at a time back into the tank. I preferred this over the pvc tube.
3. spread out the sand and wait for the tank to clear up. It took only a few hours to clear up.

As far as adding your CUC and such, you can add them as soon as you are done adding the sand. I did it that way and I had no die off. But the key is if you have a well established tank with good water parameters to begin with, and it sounds like you do. I would just acclimate them the way Rich describes as soon as you are done with adding the sand.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4045/4407302085_414704b0cb.jpg