PDA

View Full Version : RBTA keeps moving in my sps tank

jarrett shark
03/23/2010, 06:11 PM
well I had a RBTA stay in the same spot since I bought him. Then a small rock fell on him when I was moving rock around the other day, ever since then he keeps moving and cant keep still. What do I do because alot of my sps is in diffrent places through out the tank and if he keeps moving I will lose more sps! How do you stop him. Only moves when light are on.

deangelr
03/23/2010, 06:20 PM
you can never really stop them from moving but if you get them to attach to a rock, maybe place it under nem when its moving or a few around the base, you may be able to then move it yourself to a place where it is comfortable and stops moving..

my LTA moved everywhere until I put a rock under it then moved it to higher light

jarrett shark
03/23/2010, 06:50 PM
could they move on sand?

MarineFlake
03/24/2010, 09:38 AM
could they move on sand?

im not sure what the point of this question is but, yes they can move just about anywhere you can imagine in your tank. Much to some people's surprise, this includes power heads, overflows, etc.

StillerNat
03/24/2010, 11:09 AM
mine moved for 8 months almost daily. so i had to remove all my sps and zoas so my RBTA wouldnt burn them. mine finally stayed put when i started feeding my tank a little heavier to feed the nem indirectly. i feed mysis and cyclops and when i dump it into the tank i am for the nem so some sticks to the nem.
i also feed oyster eggs 3x a week.

Sullyman
03/24/2010, 07:41 PM
Kind of need to decide which you want more and go from there, anemone or sps, sps or anemone, it's a big gamble as you found out and it sounds like you've got more to loose than gain in this situation.

jarrett shark
03/24/2010, 08:25 PM
I know I just love them both!!

StillerNat
03/24/2010, 08:53 PM
the nem for me won out. i built a frag tank and put all my sys and zoa in there.

Onedeadbob
03/25/2010, 01:13 PM
Kind of need to decide which you want more and go from there, anemone or sps, sps or anemone, it's a big gamble as you found out and it sounds like you've got more to loose than gain in this situation.

I know nothing is absolute in this hobby; is it difficult/impossible to have a tank with both anenome and SPS? or do many here manage it successfully?

Toddrtrex
03/25/2010, 02:05 PM
I know nothing is absolute in this hobby; is it difficult/impossible to have a tank with both anenome and SPS? or do many here manage it successfully?

Like you said, nothing is absolute....

IMO, if you are going to mix the two, you are better off doing it with a sand dwelling anemone. Sure, once in a blue moon might get one that will climb on the rocks, but that is few and fare between.

I have Haddoni anemones, which are sand dwelling, and SPS. The only time I have had an issue is when a frag falls onto one of the Haddonis -- kiss the frag goodbye, but other then that, I haven't had any issues.

One of my Haddonis has been in my care for 12+ years and it have never once climbed onto the rocks.