PDA

View Full Version : best powerhead need help please

rennne39
03/23/2010, 08:16 PM
I need some help what is the best powerhead to have with a nem in the tank help please

tufacody
03/23/2010, 08:41 PM
i am aware of no nem-safe powerhead. They need to be covered to be safe. Otherwise, the vortec with the foam insert would probably be the safest, but kinda sucks to shell out for vortechs and then restrict them like that.

rennne39
03/23/2010, 08:43 PM
I have my k coverd with screen but every couple of days I have to clean them was jsut looking for a easier way

38bill
03/24/2010, 12:26 AM
I have had a couple of newly cloned RBTA's have close encounters with my stock Tunze 6045's and they all survived. It seems that the openings are small enough and located so the anemone doesnt reach the blade as easily as some other power heads. Not really nem safe but not a total meat grinder either.

WDLV
03/24/2010, 10:48 AM
I recently modified an aquaclear prefilter screen to work with my Maxijets. They are the only thing I have had success with to date. I used to use the Aquaclear powerheads years back. Those screens do the job and IMO look a little better than the DIY setups I've seen.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/walterlaroque/3-2010/3-3-2010001.jpg (http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e92/walterlaroque/3-2010/?action=view&current=3-3-2010001.jpg)

arioch
03/24/2010, 11:20 AM
As per Karen's Rose Anemones site, I picked up the plastic sewing grid (for yarn projects) from Wal-Mart and I used plastic wire ties to make tight cylinders to place around PH intake tubes. Those PH intake tubes usually have really long and thin holes and I'm pretty sure nems can still get themselves stuck and chopped up in them.

WDLV
03/24/2010, 11:52 AM
I doubt they're any less effective than the sewing grid... but then I've not used the sewing grid to have succeeded or failed with it. I had at least five years of experience with the prefilter screens and never lost an anemone to a PH while using one. At worst you might lose a few tentacles. The point of either method being that you want to increase the surface area of the screen to the point where the vaccuum is minimized so that the anemone can retract away from the screen.
If you have a 12" magnifica or any other large nem detatch and wrap itself around my screen or yours it's going to get damaged regardless of hole size. Either method should be good if your anemones are smaller.