PDA

View Full Version : Pairing juvi Onyx with anemone

NewSchool04
03/23/2010, 10:45 PM
I have two very small Onyx clowns, less than 1" in my 180. They seem to be happy swimming by the overflows on the top of the tank but I have 3 beautiful rose BTA's waiting for them!

This tank is so big compared to the little guy's, I'm not surprised they haven't found the nem's. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to guide them to their new home.

Any ideas?

Toddrtrex
03/23/2010, 10:47 PM
I am a fan of just letting nature take its course --- it has always worked for me. Sometimes it has taken seconds, all they way up to a couple of months.

One thing I will never recommend is forcing the clowns to be hosted -- could very well end up with some eaten clowns.

Though, none of my takes are as big as yours.

NewSchool04
03/23/2010, 10:50 PM
Hey Todd, good to hear from you!

I decided to be a bit proactive. The rock that I have the BTA's on is the top rock on one of my pillars. I just moved it over to their favorite hang out spot and we'll see what happens. Once they get a "feel" I think they'll follow it the 24" to it's final resting spot.

Toddrtrex
03/23/2010, 10:55 PM
Hey Todd, good to hear from you!

I decided to be a bit proactive. The rock that I have the BTA's on is the top rock on one of my pillars. I just moved it over to their favorite hang out spot and we'll see what happens. Once they get a "feel" I think they'll follow it the 24" to it's final resting spot.

You too Pat, hope that all is well.

That isn't a bad idea. It brings the anemone into their sights, but gives them the option to go into it or not.

Saw the pics of them in the CMAS thread, nice looking pair.

NewSchool04
03/23/2010, 11:00 PM
Yeah, they are very nice and very mischievous! I've drained my right overflow twice, the left once and now I have all their escape routes covered . . . I think. Did you see I found my linkia starfish and a cleaner shrimp in one of the overflows, they've been missing for literally YEARS!!

They are flirting with the BTA now, one went down and put his face very close. I'm hoping by tomorrow, they will be snug in their new home.

I'm still amazed at how small these guy's are.

flare1185
03/24/2010, 12:05 AM
Where did u get ur onyx if u don't mind me asking

NewSchool04
03/24/2010, 12:08 AM
They are Rod's Onyx Clowns. By far my favorite Onyx.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/NewSchool04/DSC00302.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y222/NewSchool04/DSC00303.jpg

arioch
03/24/2010, 01:09 AM
Where did u get ur onyx if u don't mind me asking

You can get them shipped from Premium Aquatics.

NETSECPRO
03/24/2010, 08:46 AM
Or you can get some from Mitch aka kelrusso316. I got a pair last week and I am very impressed!

arioch
03/24/2010, 11:21 AM
Well, yes, that's where I got mine, and he guarantees the coloration as well. (For us locals, anyway, I don't know how you long distance guys work)

NETSECPRO
03/24/2010, 02:01 PM
Long distance folks get the guarantee too :fish1:

jonnybravo22
03/24/2010, 11:21 PM
my clowns (well, the male anyways) just took to my gigantea anemone after a month and a half (now he acts like it's the best thing ever and doesnt leave it, hoping the female will follow soon).

what i did since this weekend is try two things: 1) changed the flow trying to make their favorite corner (right near return line) uncomfortable by directing powerheads right at it and 2) feeding them right near the anemone (put a baster in there when they are good and hungry and slowly let the food out right around the anemone so they "want" to be in that area)

it seems 1 of the 2 or perhaps the combination has helped since they both ignored the anemone solidly for a month and a half and now they both hang around there and 1 clown at least has a new home.

NewSchool04
03/24/2010, 11:24 PM
Still no luck for me but they have been getting pretty close since I moved my anemone rock to their corner. Today I've watched them get within 1/8" and then back away. I think if I keep the rock over there for a couple more days, I'll have victory.

NETSECPRO
03/26/2010, 07:06 AM
Or you can get some from Mitch aka kelrusso316. I got a pair last week and I am very impressed!

I was mistaken, his screenname is kerusso316, sorry for any confusion.

StrongMN
03/26/2010, 08:14 AM
I talked to teh breader I bought a little pair from and he said 2 things.

1. Tank bred clowns may never host in an anemone, but other stuff. It seems to be something they can lose after being tank bred.

2. He stated that it can take them up to 2 months to "find" the anemone.

I know there is a weath of information on-line out there, and I sometimes don't know what to trust. I think you will have luck since they are already going really close to them.

-StrongMN