PDA

View Full Version : urchin problem?

gmatta
03/24/2010, 02:29 AM
Well ive had several corals and zoo's "disapear" and wondering if its the urchins, got one Long Spine and one Pencil and I think they be munching! No fish, just reef tank. Do have a cleaner shrimp, some snails, couple hermits, an emerald crab, just wondering if anybody else has had same expierence?:confused:

ChadTheSpike
03/24/2010, 06:30 AM
If the cause can be attributed to an urchin, the pencil urchin is the more likely culprit, they tend more toward carnivorous behavior...

It is also possible that it could be something else altogether (nudibranch, worm, etc.), inspect your zoas closely for nudi's or other pests, and observe closely.

OceanLandlord
03/24/2010, 07:18 AM
So are pencil urchins in a reef tank a non no?

ChadTheSpike
03/24/2010, 07:37 AM
I wouldnt personally add one (to me there are better choices - long spine or tuxedo), but I also wouldnt say they are not completely reef incompatible. Just need to be watched. With the OP's situation, I am not convinced the problem is the urchin.

LeslieP
03/24/2010, 09:27 AM
I had a pencil urchin for many years with no problem, then all of a sudden, he developed a taste for my zoas and other corals. Into the refugium he went! If you have a 'fuge, put it in there and see if your corals keep disappearing, then you will know he's innocent.

dogstar74
03/24/2010, 09:37 AM
You can also inspect the tank at night with a red flashlight. That will keep the critters from being spooked.

cabezon2469
03/24/2010, 11:09 AM
urchins are delicious

gmatta
03/24/2010, 12:59 PM
thanks guys no i dont think its nudi's, and actually tha long spine is the one thats been knocking over this rock of daisy polyps and then sitting on it :( now their r less polyps on the rock when i got home and he was off the rock