PDA

View Full Version : Clown ID

kingfisherflesh
03/24/2010, 09:55 AM
I want to get my clownfish paired. I bought this one as an amphirion clarkii. It seems to be pretty dark to me, and because the tail isnt entirely white, I was wondering (hoping) if it might actually be an allardii. Any ideas? I just need to know so that when I order my next clown through divers den that I get the right one. Thanks in advance

WDLV
03/24/2010, 10:38 AM
A. clarkii. I had a pair just like it. To pair it, just find one that's tiny or huge. Ususlly I'd say tiny in case the one you have has morphed into a female but from the looks of it, the one you have is still a juvinile and has not selected a gender yet.

kingfisherflesh
03/24/2010, 02:45 PM
I thought that they didnt morph until they were paired...I bought this one at the size of my pinky nail because it would pair up better because it IS so small...it is now about twice that size...but it is still really small.

WDLV
03/24/2010, 03:38 PM
They morph into females when they are the dominant (or only) fish in the tank.

kingfisherflesh
03/25/2010, 08:38 AM
Okay...that makes sense...but they can morph back right?

WDLV
03/25/2010, 08:58 AM
No. They go from Juvinile (neuter) to male to female. They cannot revert back once they advance.

Sugar Magnolia
03/25/2010, 10:04 AM
I agree. Clarkii. Cute little guy too! I had one years ago. Once she grew to about 3" or so she started getting very aggressive. I ended up having to trade her in because she would bite me relentlessly whenever I had to put my hand in the tank for maintenence.

WDLV
03/25/2010, 10:08 AM
I'd say that's par for the course.

Toddrtrex
03/25/2010, 09:34 PM
I agree. Clarkii. Cute little guy too! I had one years ago. Once she grew to about 3" or so she started getting very aggressive. I ended up having to trade her in because she would bite me relentlessly whenever I had to put my hand in the tank for maintenence.

I'd say that's par for the course.

My pair were fake tough. ;) They would always start to chase my hand as I was removing it from the tank -- I think it made them fell like they chased me out.

The reason I sold my pair was their constant digging -- it was causing their Haddoni to move. It was hard to give them up, since I had had them for 12+ years, but they were stressing the Haddoni too much.

kingfisherflesh
03/27/2010, 05:37 PM

Yea...he is pretty small. Got him about the size of my pinky nail...he has grown a little bit, but still adorable. I am hoping that he/she will pair. If I add another clark's soon will there be a way to tell if I am successful? Just swimming together I would assume...Ive had them do that before, but nothing really in the way of breeding so I dont know. Dont want them to breed, just like the way it looks when two hang out. I am a little bit worried about adding another so soon because I dont want it to bully little mangoes ("his" name) to death.

Rod Buehler
03/28/2010, 06:03 AM
Clarkii is one of the species that can go both ways.. I had 2 very large females(?) that were in their own tanks for years.. I was in a bind for space and needed to put them both into a 10' tank figuring that it would hopefully be enough room .. a month or so later, I had viable eggs. At first I figured that they never morphed but then my research showed that it is a 2 way street. At least for some species. A.clarkii being one of them

kingfisherflesh
03/28/2010, 09:02 AM
Clarkii is one of the species that can go both ways.. I had 2 very large females(?) that were in their own tanks for years.. I was in a bind for space and needed to put them both into a 10' tank figuring that it would hopefully be enough room .. a month or so later, I had viable eggs. At first I figured that they never morphed but then my research showed that it is a 2 way street. At least for some species. A.clarkii being one of them

SWEEEEET. ha ha thank you very much, thats good news. Just as soon as I have the money I will go out and buy a larger one too.