PDA

View Full Version : Sebae Behavior Question

JMcAz7
03/24/2010, 10:13 AM
I picked up a 4-5" Sebae about 2 weeks ago, and for the past week he's found a little spot tucked back slightly in a cave, and he's stayed there.

He's still out in the open (not hiding), and still pretty well expanded, just shaded more than I would think he'd want to be. Is this normal? He's eating just fine. Any insight? This is my first Sebae, had quite a few BTAs over the years with no major issues.

On a side note, any hints on getting my ocellaris to take to him would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 10:18 AM
What color is it?

What lights was it under?

What lights do you have?

Are you acclimating it to your lights?

JMcAz7
03/24/2010, 10:35 AM
1.) It's a light tan/brown with blue tips. Color hasn't changed since I got it from the LFS.

2.) It was under T8s I believe.

3 and 4.) At the moment, 72w of PCs (50/50). I know it's low for a nem, but not horrible. I'm putting the 150w 14000K HQI on my tank tonight and I'll be acclimating him to that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/24/2010, 12:21 PM
Is it getting direct light?

My H. crispa's (one of the two species commonly referred to as sebae) have not been very prone to moving around once settled in somewhere. I've pretty much been able to put them where I want them, and they stay, but that was usually out in the open.

JMcAz7
03/24/2010, 12:27 PM
Right now it's only getting partial direct light, by it's own choice. It's settled in it's spot. Other than it's position, it's acting healthy and normal.

Seeing Green
03/24/2010, 10:05 PM
The clown will go in time.

I have heard of folks inducing this by only feeding the nem with mysis to semi force the fish to venture there for food.

I have also heard of people who put them together in a smaller container, and slowly (like over the course of a couple hours) remove some of the water, again kinda forcing.

Personally mine have found the nems in the course of a month or so, but the target feeding near it helps some.

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 10:33 PM
The clown will go in time.

I have heard of folks inducing this by only feeding the nem with mysis to semi force the fish to venture there for food.

I have also heard of people who put them together in a smaller container, and slowly (like over the course of a couple hours) remove some of the water, again kinda forcing.

Personally mine have found the nems in the course of a month or so, but the target feeding near it helps some.

IMO, putting a clown and an anemone together in a confined space -- to force hosting -- is a bad idea. It could very end with up with an eaten clown. It is best just to let nature take its course.