PDA

View Full Version : Anemone & Cyanobacteria

Silfer
03/24/2010, 11:41 AM
Will Cyano harm a sand dwelling anemone?

Thanks

jasonrp104
03/24/2010, 12:00 PM
Not in my experience. My clowns keep the sand around it pretty clean but the worst outbreak I ever had did make it's way over to it and nothing happened

Silfer
03/24/2010, 12:10 PM
Cool that's good to know as I just got a random outbreak. Do you have any tips on ridding Cyano as i've never had it before.

jasonrp104
03/24/2010, 12:15 PM
Water changes and a reactor. I've never had more than a small patch (dime sized) since I started running GFO

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 12:19 PM
The only way that it could harm an anemone would because of the root cause --- excess nutrients in your system. So, in theory a bad outbreak could harm an anemone because something is pretty off with the tank.

Silfer
03/24/2010, 12:36 PM
I don't see how I can have excess nutrients, only got 2 percula clowns and a yellow tang (small one) in my 260L, Nitrates undetectable. Have a 50L sump with skimmer and chaeto in it and phosban 150 reactor with phos/carbon.

Oh also, I have no algae in my tank either.

Also what is GFO?

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 12:41 PM
I don't see how I can have excess nutrients, only got 2 clowns and a yellow tang in my 260L, Nitrates undetectable. Have a 50L sump with skimmer and chaeto in it and phosban 150 reactor with phos/carbon.

Oh also, I have no algae in my tank either.

Also what is GFO?

GFO --- is basically any iron base phosphate removing media (( I can't recall what the "G" stands for --- believe the "F" and "O" stand for ferric oxide )).

Are you using RO/DI water? If so, what is the TDS?

Something is feeding the Cyano, figure what it is, eliminate that source and it will go away.

Silfer
03/24/2010, 12:47 PM
I use RO water and a DI pod yeah, TDS 0. Phospates read 0, I use the D&D merck test kit.

The only thing that changed is I went to a new bucket of salt, D&D's H2Ocean Pro, it came up after I switched to it, possibly that's the source? But I find it hard to believe a salt will cause Cyano.

Reefposer
03/24/2010, 12:48 PM
GFO --- is basically any iron base phosphate removing media (( I can't recall what the "G" stands for --- believe the "F" and "O" stand for ferric oxide )).

G stands for Granular

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 12:51 PM
I use RO water and a DI pod yeah, TDS 0. Phospates read 0, I use the D&D merck test kit.

The only thing that changed is I went to a new bucket of salt, D&D's H2Ocean Pro, it came up after I switched to it, possibly that's the source? But I find it hard to believe a salt will cause Cyano.

Well, if nothing else changed, I would suspect the salt then. It is possible that there is "something" in that salt that is feeding the Cyano. There is a chance that it will go away on its own, when your tank gets "used" to the extra "something" that that salt is providing. Or, it could get worse, only time will tell. But, at least you have an idea of what is causing it.

G stands for Granular

That's it, thanks. And so simple too. ;)

Silfer
03/24/2010, 01:48 PM
Oh man, just found the cause of my problem and I feel stupid.

Tested the TDS of the RO water in my 25L container and its 108!!! I gave it a thorough cleaning and tested with some fresh RO and it's 0 again, but that one is the one I use to switch water from downstair to my top up container upstair, it was easy to clean as I cut a hole in it so I can fit a pump in it.

The topup 25L container that is next to my sump just has the small hole of the lid, how can I best clean that, as I can't fit my arm in.. can I use my power washer attached to the houses cold water supply, give it a good blasting then rinse a bunch with fresh RO?

Also will this high TDS i've been topping up with hurt my nem?

Seeing Green
03/24/2010, 10:02 PM
TDS doesnt necessarily mean bad though. Some of the things in water are natural buffers. Granted that some are bad but I doubt that this would hurt it. I have been topping off with treated regular water for a while, and doing WC with rodi. Everything is happy healthy and doing fine.

Also, on the salt, if it has excess silica that could cause the problem if I remember correctly.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16828506 seems to agree.

Fishinboy84
03/25/2010, 11:27 AM
if you get Chemi Clean/Boyds it should clear up your Cyno, you must follwo the directions though. do water changes as it says and it should cure your problem of cyno.