PDA

View Full Version : acclimating anemone and clowns in same bag..

Snakebyt
03/24/2010, 10:55 PM
I am getting a green bubble tip amenone form a local reefer tomorrow. It is my hope that my fasle percs will host in it. I remember reading somewhere that the clowns will take to the anemone faster if they are in a bag with the anemone.

Should i try to catch one or both of my clowns and put them in the bag with the anemone while i drip it? Or would i have better luck just trying to place the anemone in a part of my tank where the clowns hang out?

boilermaker1
03/24/2010, 10:59 PM
I'd just put the anemone in the tank. I dont see the need to stress the fish by catching and bagging it, and clownfish need to develop their immunity to the anemone. Its not an instantaneous thing.
Depends on the clownfish, and I'm sure a lot of other factors too, but the one time I had an anemone, my clown (tank raised) was in there in less than 48 hours. They'll go, just let it run its course naturally.

Ritten
03/24/2010, 11:11 PM
I'm inclined to agree with boilermaker, but I do remember reading something about what you're saying years ago.

mike810
03/24/2010, 11:19 PM
the clowns need to acclimate itself to the nem. If you just throw it in the same bag, it's possible the nem could and will sting/eat the clown. I've seen pics of clowns that didn't acclimate to the nem and stung like theres no tomorrow

Toddrtrex
03/24/2010, 11:53 PM
the clowns need to acclimate itself to the nem. If you just throw it in the same bag, it's possible the nem could and will sting/eat the clown. I've seen pics of clowns that didn't acclimate to the nem and stung like theres no tomorrow

Yep. It is a very bad idea to "force" clowns to be hosted. You could very end up with an expensive meal for the anemone.

Snakebyt
03/25/2010, 02:19 AM
thanks for the advice, ill just add the anemone and let the clowns find it