PDA

View Full Version : Any High end LFS stores around the austin, san marcos, san antonio TX area?

jmoney
03/25/2010, 10:57 AM
After my purchases this month I've decided that I'm tired of paying these ever increasing shipping costs that I get from ordering over the web. I know there are an abundance of salt water stores in this area, but none of them appear to have much in the way in high end gear, salts, or additives. Or even livestock really, a few stores have a great display tank, but their livestock thats on sale is usually very sickly looking, and at best they sometimes get in some incredible corals.

Milky3
03/25/2010, 02:12 PM
Drive to Dallas ,Fort worth area very nice store in that area.

jmoney
03/25/2010, 08:25 PM
thats about 3 1/2 hour drive from me, and thats with 0 traffic I grew up there, and I know it has taken me up to 7 hrs to get back when traffic is bad

Makenna
03/25/2010, 08:37 PM
Have you been up to Aquatek in Austin? I moved away from Austin about 5 years ago, but at that time, it was the place to go.

gmatta
03/26/2010, 01:54 AM
theres a new shop in north austin by the domain i went in, not much for coral but great fish and decent prices :)

amore169
03/26/2010, 03:23 AM
Austinaquafarms is in Austin, great corals.

gmatta
03/26/2010, 01:25 PM
austinaquafarms is by appointment only

Sisterlimonpot
03/27/2010, 02:40 PM
How about in san antonio? I am visiting for the next few weeks and would like to visit some nice LFS's

jmoney
03/29/2010, 12:19 PM
i had only heard of one but went there and it was a whole in the wall with incredibly lacking corals...bump still looking for something

jmoney
03/29/2010, 12:48 PM
ive been to aquatek they usually have a somewhat good supply of items, but livestock...only their display tank ever catches my eye

trb
03/29/2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for asking this, I was wondering about this too since my son is at UTSA this year and will be at UT Austin next year. Always looking for new fish stores to check out! :D

If you ever want to come to Houston for a day or so, there are several (8+) good stores around town. 3 good full service stores are on the southwest side of town, (T&T, Citypets & Fishland) and a couple of newer specialty stores started by guys on our local website to cater to the members. (3CC and FJW Aquarium) They special order lots of stuff, corals, fish, etc, even get direct shipments from contacts in Australia. Check out the sponsors forum section on www.marshreef.com

shortaf
07/02/2010, 09:30 PM
The Aquadome in Austin has been great for me. Not much to look at from outside but it has a nice selection of freshwater, saltwater and corals.

fyre_lp
07/08/2010, 08:19 AM
Here's a map I made of all Austin's LFS. Hope it helps.

http://www.austinreefclub.com/page/LFS-map

Mattik
07/08/2010, 06:06 PM
i had only heard of one but went there and it was a whole in the wall with incredibly lacking corals...bump still looking for something

If you are referring to the one in San Antonio, I agree...not worth a 10 second detour - even "just to see".

Aquatek in Austin was mentioned. Not the greatest, but better than average I would say.

Also, if you're willing to drive, there is a nice shop in Houston (should be about 2.5 hours from San Marcos as it is on the West side- S Highway 6). I get a lot of nice stuff in there.