PDA

View Full Version : ? for those tanks plumbed to a reef

Fig70g
03/25/2010, 12:59 PM
I have a 70g mixed reef, which unfortunately has seen better days. I underestimated my lights when I moved this last time, so I really only have some mushrooms and GSP surviving. (Im moving in 2 mo again, so plan to increase lighting!)

Anyway.... I have a 30g mantis tank plumbed to the system. This guy is a BLAST to watch, I love buying feeder crabs for him. So I have noticed over these ~16 months that as usual I have a huge amount of tiny starfish all over my reef tank. I forget the name of them, just the typical ones, they even grow in my sump. Im also having some issues with aiptasia.... but what I notice is that I get starfish and aiptasia in my reef and in my sump but they fail to grow/reproduce in the mantis' tank. I have even put some of the stars in the mantis tank to see if they mulitply but they dont.

Does anyone else notice this? I wonder if the mantis kills or attacks either creature. Im sure its not a source of food, but I was just wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar.

hikarishadow
03/25/2010, 09:11 PM
My peacock tries to bury aiptasia with sand sometimes. Don't know anything more about it though... Sorry!