PDA

View Full Version : smithii with red red inter-segmental lines (maybe shell rot too)

gozermantis
03/25/2010, 03:46 PM
Well not sure if it's battle damage or shell rot so hopefully roy can chime in here.. thanks. oh and Roy it came from philippines.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/da9_chinga/smithiisale1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y27/da9_chinga/smithiisale15.jpg
The area is on the telson and the last plate before the telson.

justinl
03/25/2010, 06:03 PM
the fact that it's on the telson and last abdominal segment makes me think it's damage from a fight. that said, it looks like it's rimmed in black which is a characteristic of shell rot (unless I'm just imagining that). In general, I don't think G. smithii are very prone to shell rot. If the price is right, I wuold just get it and feed it often with supplemented feed to try and get it to molt asap.

I sold my red-lined G. smithii a while back and I still regret it often.

gozermantis
03/25/2010, 08:21 PM
see same here looks like it could be both im already feeding supplemented food just looking for some insight. it looks like it could go both ways. i own this already.

Fb Joe
03/26/2010, 08:21 AM
In general, I don't think G. smithii are very prone to shell rot.

I sold my red-lined G. smithii a while back and I still regret it often.

Agreed, I have not seen it on the 4 I have gotten in.

Are red lined ones worth more?
Most of mine looked like that.

IMO it's battle damage, but that's not good to stick around, as it could likely rot away in the area of damage. +1 on the feeding.

Mine will molt every 5 crabs, with supplemental gastropods available most of the time. So just feed feed feed with live food and I think he will be good.

Anyone know of any parasites on gonodactylus smithii? Isopods?

Gonodactylus
03/27/2010, 09:02 AM
It appears to be damage and should heal. I can't ever remember seeing shell rot on Gonodactylus smithii.

Roy

gozermantis
03/27/2010, 02:30 PM
thank you roy. i didn't remember ever hearing anyone say anything about a smithii having shell rot just looked similar so i wanted to make sure.