PDA

View Full Version : 2 Small leaks at pvc ball valve glued union, Help me please.

Lord Magnus
03/25/2010, 08:13 PM
Hello, I've been playing with my sump design for a long time and today I finally got everything finished and plumbed together which took me a long time, since early morning. This is my very first time (at age of 30) plumbing any PVC, and as such it wasn't perfect.

I have a ball valve that's got 2 pin hole leaks where it was glued. They are quite fast, about 1 drop every 4 seconds probably because it's overflow and there's no pressure.

I applied PVC primer to the two sections to be glued, and when it dried, I applied PVC cement, slid the piece in and twisted 1/4 turn. Then held for 45 seconds.

I've read some people have successfully fixed these types of leaks with Gorilla Glue.

I can't spend any more money right now. As many know here, I was laid off 3 months ago, and this was a major money investment for my tank. So I would rather fix it, even if it's temporary fix, until I can make some more money to fix it properly by replacing the parts which I know is the only way to definitely fix it. BUT, for the moment, I need something fast and cheap.

I have Gorilla Glue. How do I try that? Do I just put it in the joint where the leaks are and that's it?

How long do I wait until I can turn my sump on?

Any input is greatly appreciated. Even if it's a thought, or Idea. I just need some help really bad!

Thank you in advance.

justisathomesea
03/25/2010, 08:19 PM
If you want to try and fix the leak temporary take your glue and go around the outside of where the ball valve and the pipe come together. Just put it on kind of thick, and that should work for a quick fix until you are albe to fix it right.

Lord Magnus
03/25/2010, 08:29 PM
The gorilla glue, right? I put it thick but runs down the pipe a little. Will this fix it for how long approximately?

And was I doing this right? I just tried to put the glue in the small section where it was leaking. I'll add some more in a minute.

I really can't spend any more money on this. I won't have any money until the end of the month.

- Mag.

Toddrtrex
03/25/2010, 08:45 PM
I have used epoxy for small leaks like this. Sure redoing it would be better, but the epoxy has been holding for years now.

This is the stuff I used (( and it works well for securing frags too :) ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/Fish%20stuff/Epoxy.jpg

Lord Magnus
03/25/2010, 08:54 PM
Ok, I already king of smeared gorilla glue on the joint where the leak is. But I do have a 2 part epoxy like the one you show, that I also use for frags.

I'll give this a try as well if the gorilla glue fails. The bad thing about it is that it takes this glue 12 hrs to dry, 24 to completely cure. So I won't be able to try until tomorrow.

Adding some epoxy to it now would impede the Glue from drying, right?

Lord Magnus
03/26/2010, 02:01 AM
The Gorilla glue did not work for me. I know of people who used it and it work for them, but it wasn't my case.

I had to cut and scrape off all of the Gorilla glue since the leaks were still there when I turned the water on. Maybe I didn't let it dry enough, I don't know.

After scraping all the glue, I sanded off any remaining glue with 220 grit sand paper. The sanding was very thorough. I also wiped the whole section with Denatured Alcohol to clean any oils and sanding dust.

I mixed some epoxy, just enough to cover the seam and to go over the fitting 1/4" on the top and bottom, while ensuring the seam got plenty of it by pushing as hard as I could to fill it with epoxy.

Now it has to dry, and I will turn it back on tomorrow morning. I will post the results. I really hope this works, at least for a couple of weeks.

- LM.