PDA

View Full Version : Why buy Ocellaris instead of Percula?

jeremyjoslin
03/25/2010, 08:15 PM
So there's about 5% of the entire internet dedicated to people discussing how to tell them apart and how one is hardier than the other, but one is prettier than the other.

What I want to know is, given an established tank with good husbandry and a few tangs as tank mates, who has opted for the cheap and easy ocellaris vs the slightly more expensive and more difficult to raise percula?

I can't make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the true perc and a BTA. And yes, my goal is anemone hosting in my 6' tank. Anyone happy with the false percs in a large tank and hosted anemone?

velvetelvis
03/25/2010, 08:27 PM
I have a small tank (34 Solana) and no anemone, but I'm very fond of my ocellaris. They're the black "Darwin" morph, so they're a little more exotic than the standard orange ones.

Really, I think it's a matter of personal preference. I think ocellaris have cuter faces than perculas, which to me look a little froggy when they're full-grown, but when I was setting up my tank I could have gone either way. I was debating between two black ocellaris and a pair of the onyx percs from Sustainable Aquatics (back when they still sold directly to the public). I really like the look of black-and-white fish, so I ended up getting the ocellaris.

Or if you can't make up your mind, you can always look for a pair of Sanjay's Photon clowns, which are the result (originally) of a cross-breeding between an onyx percula female and a black ocellaris male. ;)

nikon187
03/25/2010, 09:15 PM
I have both.. ( seperate tanks)

jupiter
03/26/2010, 07:00 AM
So there's about 5% of the entire internet dedicated to people discussing how to tell them apart and how one is hardier than the other, but one is prettier than the other.

What I want to know is, given an established tank with good husbandry and a few tangs as tank mates, who has opted for the cheap and easy ocellaris vs the slightly more expensive and more difficult to raise percula?

I can't make up my mind, but I'm leaning towards the true perc and a BTA. And yes, my goal is anemone hosting in my 6' tank. Anyone happy with the false percs in a large tank and hosted anemone?

A few things:
1) The anemone is the host. It is hosting the clownfish.
2) An anemone doesn't belong in a full reef tank. It should be in a dedicated tank. 6' dedicated tank is a lot of wasted space for 1 anemone. This is why so many people use cubes for their anemone/clown displays.
3) BTA is not a natural host to either clown species. Maybe consider a species of clown that is.
4) I didn't know ocellaris clowns were considered "cheap". I prefer these vs percula based on appearance. Your question is akin to, "why do you choose an orange skunk vs a pink skunk?" They are completely different fishes. It's all preference.

WDLV
03/26/2010, 10:01 AM
A few considerations:
- I think the species depends on the keeper's personal preference.
- An anemone is not necessary for keeping most clowns found on the market but you will probably find yourself wanting to keep one at some point.
- I have had a much easier time getting perculas to accept a BTA as a host than ocellaris.
- Ocelaris clowns are inexpensive compared to other clown species. They are the most commonly captive bred clownfish, are the most readily available and are among the easiest to care for.
- You can keep an anemone in a reef. However, if you do keep one in a reef tank it should be done with the understanding that it will wander and sting your corals until it finds a spot it likes. If you can accept that this will happen and don't mind allowing them to find the niche that suits the anemone best then there is no reason not to keep an anemone in a reef. Keep in mind that the spot that best suits an anemone may be in the back of your reef underneath an overhang where you have no chance in seeing it.
- Bewhere of powerhead intakes when keeping anemones.
- Anemones require excellent and stable water parameters.

iamwhatiam52
03/26/2010, 12:23 PM
A few things:
2) An anemone doesn't belong in a full reef tank. It should be in a dedicated tank. 6' dedicated tank is a lot of wasted space for 1 anemone. This is why so many people use cubes for their anemone/clown displays.
3) BTA is not a natural host to either clown species. Maybe consider a species of clown that is.

1) Many or most of us are guilty of using this incorrect terminology.

2) We all keep the things we love in our tanks and learn to make the adjustments and sacrifices to do so. Lots of us who don't know any better keep Bubble Tip Anemones in reef tanks. They are too beautiful and interesting to pass up. If we are lucky (or clever) they like one spot and leave the rest of our reef alone. My biggest problem is dealing with the #@%& pesky clones every time it splits.

3) I had not heard that ocellaris do not readily live with BTA's or that BTA's do not readily host ocellaris. Perhaps what happens in our tanks is not always natural, but it's a beautiful thing anyway.

jeremyjoslin, back to your original question:
"Anyone happy with the false percs in a large tank and hosted anemone?"
After keeping 4 ocellaris in a reef for 4 years, I added an RBTA. The clowns loved it. My egg laying pair eventually abandoned the hairy mushrooms that had been hosting them to live with the RBTA. The first time it split I removed one, along with the 2 unpaired ocellaris to a dedicated small tank.

I am very happy.
The neighbors kids are delighted (silly little Nemo fans).
I think my ocellaris too.

jeremyjoslin
03/27/2010, 11:43 AM
I have both.. ( seperate tanks)

Which are you drawn towards most?

jeremyjoslin
03/27/2010, 11:48 AM
A few things:
Understood, but thanks for the correction.

I think what you mean is that one should use caution with this approach... not that "it doesn't belong."

Good to know. It is, however, a commonly suggested species for this. Your thoughts on a better choice would be appreciated.

4) I didn't know ocellaris clowns were considered "cheap". I prefer these vs percula based on appearance. Your question is akin to, "why do you choose an orange skunk vs a pink skunk?" They are completely different fishes. It's all preference. There's actually alot more difference between the two than just a color. They are quite different fish, as I'm sure you know.

A few considerations:
- I think the species depends on the keeper's personal preference.
- An anemone is not necessary for keeping most clowns found on the market but you will probably find yourself wanting to keep one at some point.
- I have had a much easier time getting perculas to accept a BTA as a host than ocellaris.
- Ocelaris clowns are inexpensive compared to other clown species. They are the most commonly captive bred clownfish, are the most readily available and are among the easiest to care for.
- You can keep an anemone in a reef. However, if you do keep one in a reef tank it should be done with the understanding that it will wander and sting your corals until it finds a spot it likes. If you can accept that this will happen and don't mind allowing them to find the niche that suits the anemone best then there is no reason not to keep an anemone in a reef. Keep in mind that the spot that best suits an anemone may be in the back of your reef underneath an overhang where you have no chance in seeing it.
- Bewhere of powerhead intakes when keeping anemones.
- Anemones require excellent and stable water parameters.

Yes, thank you. I've actually owned a large RBTA for over a year before breaking down my last reef tank 5 years ago. I also had a mated, egg-laying pair of maroon clowns so I'm familiar with the requirements and special concerns of these animals.

jeremyjoslin
03/27/2010, 11:50 AM
After keeping 4 ocellaris in a reef for 4 years, I added an RBTA. The clowns loved it. My egg laying pair eventually abandoned the hairy mushrooms that had been hosting them to live with the RBTA. The first time it split I removed one, along with the 2 unpaired ocellaris to a dedicated small tank.

I am very happy.
The neighbors kids are delighted (silly little Nemo fans).
I think my ocellaris too.

Thanks for the info. Why did you go with ocellaris originally?

iamwhatiam52
03/27/2010, 12:51 PM
Why did you go with ocellaris originally?

I didn't!

I've been meaning to post a question here asking what the differences are besides minor differences in color; size? shape? habits? hardiness?
The post never happened because I was afraid I'd be flamed off the board by the clownfish police for being an idiot and keeping clowns without knowing what they were!

When my tank was ready for fish I wanted to start it with 4 perculas.
Not because I knew the difference, but because that's what I thought the little cuties I'd seen in Bali were.
A local store ordered 4 "true perculas" for me. They were about 3/4 inch.
As I learned more and tried to understand the difference between perculas and ocellaris, I tried to match mine with the description of percula, but could not figure it out. I was starting to think it was all nonsense. I posted a picture here and was informed they were ocellaris.

I STILL don't know what the big fuss is about the differences between the two.

velvetelvis
03/27/2010, 01:25 PM
I think perculas are more popular because aren't as near-ubiquitous as ocellaris, which are a classic beginners' fish for saltwater aquarists. Percs also come in more desired "designer" morphs like platinums and picassos, as well as the Solomon Islands onyx morph that is so popular. So, IMO, part of it might could be a tiny bit of snob appeal--they aren't as common as the ocis, and you have more patterns to choose from. We all love novelty and the feeling that what we're keeping is special and different.

As far as actual differences between the two species, according to Joyce Wilkerson's book, perculas are more aggressive towards other clownfish than ocellaris. On the other hand, I haven't heard/read nearly as many stories about perculas become little hand-biting terrors (although most of those have been about black ocellaris--guess I better watch out! LOL). FWIW, I've also seen more pics/videos of ocellaris using non-anemone hosts like toadstool leathers and LPS corals (although this could be simply because more people own ocellaris). I've seen pretty much equal numbers of both species being hosted by BTAs. Some people claim that percs will go to a host more readily than ocellaris, although this is purely anecdotal.

Hope this might be somewhat helpful...without any experience keeping percs, I can only offer up secondhand (or thirdhand) knowledge. Maybe some people who keep both can chime in and talk about any differences they've seen between the two species.

jupiter
03/27/2010, 01:29 PM
It is, however, a commonly suggested species for this. Your thoughts on a better choice would be appreciated.

It's a commonly suggested species because the BTA is an easy to keep anemone. Percula and ocellaris clowns are iconic. People want an easy anemone and an iconic clownfish. Hence, the two are put together. It can be done and it is done, however, both clown species would accept certain corals as hosts, as well. There is nothing wrong with keeping a BTA with a ocellaris clown but I still feel a natural host makes a better display. Other choices would be ritteri anemones, gigantic carpets and mertensi carpets, none of which are suitable for most aquarists. However, if you want a BTA, there are many more clown species it would host instead. It's ultimately up to you, though.

In time, more people will start to pair up natural hosts with clowns. There is a lot more serious interest in clowns and anemones than there was when I left the hobby a few years back and I see this as the natural progression.

There's actually alot more difference between the two than just a color. They are quite different fish, as I'm sure you know.

True, as are ocellaris and percula clowns, which is why I didn't understand your original question, 'Why pick the cheaper ocellaris when you could have a 'better' percula" - at least, this is how I read the question. I've had both and don't remember either being difficult. I prefer orange, wild-form ocellaris. True percs look weird to me, like perfect cookie-cut fish.

I've kept a lot of clownfishes and my favourites include saddlebacks and clarkis. I didn't care much for ocellaris/percula but that has more to do with how popular they are, and by this I mean if I see a perc in an anemone, I don't even see the clown anymore. I glaze over. My least favourite is the tomato complex although I do like cinnamon clowns. I don't like maroon clowns much and right now my preferred complex is the skunk complex, but that's just this month's flavour. Some people love them all.

iamwhatiam52
03/27/2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.
All 4 of my ocellaris are are very territorial toward their anemone, even moving rubble rock I've tried to place near it. They bite my hand so hard it startles the hell out of me if I'm not expecting it.
The only exception is my small female red mandarin who seems to be clueless. For a few weeks she would swim right up to their eggs, but instead of attacking as they do to everything else, they would gently nudge her away no matter how many times she came back. It was absolutely the funniest thing to see.

BUT.........
If I had an occelaris in one hand and a percula in the other, I still couldn't tell the difference.

velvetelvis
03/27/2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks to all for the feedback.
All 4 of my ocellaris are are very territorial toward their anemone, even moving rubble rock I've tried to place near it. They bite my hand so hard it startles the hell out of me if I'm not expecting it.
The only exception is my small female red mandarin who seems to be clueless. For a few weeks she would swim right up to their eggs, but instead of attacking as they do to everything else, they would gently nudge her away no matter how many times she came back. It was absolutely the funniest thing to see.

BUT.........
If I had an occelaris in one hand and a percula in the other, I still couldn't tell the difference.

:lol:

What kind of anemone(s) are you keeping them with?

iamwhatiam52
03/27/2010, 02:18 PM
:lol:

What kind of anemone(s) are you keeping them with?

RBTA, one in a 180 mixed up reef and the other in a small dedicated tank.

Better pic taken by kilroy217