PDA

View Full Version : powder blue tang a yellow tang

reefman911
03/25/2010, 08:51 PM
hey can i keep a pwder blue tand and a yellow tang in the same tank?

nikon187
03/25/2010, 08:54 PM
depends on the size of the tank..

Capt Crabtabulous
03/25/2010, 09:08 PM
I've had both in a 210 gal for three years and they love each other.

acrodave
03/25/2010, 09:11 PM
if the tank is big enough should be fine both are different species

flyin2jz
03/25/2010, 09:11 PM
I have both in a 180 and they get along great. Mine are small though on 2in each. Will move them when they get bigger.

reefman911
03/25/2010, 09:50 PM
i have a 90 gallon ?

Eric the half-bee
03/25/2010, 10:21 PM
That may be pushing the limit. How many other fish are in the tank?

sminker
03/25/2010, 11:13 PM
I have both in a 180 and they get along great. Mine are small though on 2in each. Will move them when they get bigger.

That will be ALONG TIME away. lol

I have a Yellow Tang, Blue Hippo Tang, Kole tang and a Purple Tang in my 180. They all get along great.

reefD
03/25/2010, 11:34 PM
mixing tangs is a sort of expert thing to do...u have to be ready for issues and being an experienced hobbiest helps...example when fish are fighting experienced hobbiest know that if u reaarrainge the tank the fish thats being dominate thinks its in a differnt tank thus lost its territory and stopps defending it aggressively. these techniques get more complicated and more understandably for an experience hobbiest so before you add mix tangs to ur tank make sure your ready for the challenge .

reefD
03/25/2010, 11:37 PM
tank size is key! those who mix tangs do so in large 200gallon tanks. 90gallons is gunna create a challenge for sure..aka challenge in salt means issues that u will have to figure out how to fix that if left alone will be a demise for stock.

nikon187
03/25/2010, 11:54 PM
I would not put a powder blue in a 90. A yellow will do fine though

dmack
03/26/2010, 04:38 AM
I have a yellow tang in a 90. A long time ago I added a kole tang. The 2 bothered each other occasionally. But worse, the yellow tang had chronic HLLE. As soon as the kole tang was removed, the yellow tang recovered and has been healthy ever since. The lesson that I learned was that my tank cannot support another tang. HTH.

hottuna
03/26/2010, 06:21 AM
I have a powder blue ,yellow tang.hippo tang,purple tang,chevron tang,chocolate tang,sailfin tang,all in a 125...no issues whatsoever...the powder blue is the largest and he is the model citizen...not the ich magnet bully type most people say they are...

TampaReefer79
03/26/2010, 06:56 AM
I have a powder blue ,yellow tang.hippo tang,purple tang,chevron tang,chocolate tang,sailfin tang,all in a 125...no issues whatsoever...the powder blue is the largest and he is the model citizen...not the ich magnet bully type most people say they are...

WOW, that's a LOT of tangs for a 125. And that's cool that you found a docile powder blue that isn't an 'ich magnet'...but you are the exception, not the rule.

sra127
03/26/2010, 08:13 AM
i have a naso yellow and pbt in my 90. been there for 7 months no issues. no fighting no ich....

Amoore311
03/26/2010, 09:04 AM
Powder Blue absolutely will not work in a 90 for more than a year or 2. I tried it.... worked for a little bit, then had to upgrade to a 180.

Powder Blue is still aggressive in the 180, it is much more manageable though.

prickles
03/26/2010, 11:11 PM

Wow,

I thought I was aggressive with stocking! You clearly know what you are doing better than most, and I would caution you to not tell just anyone they can do what you can. From the posts I have read, I am pretty sure you are an unusual case.

gildorph
03/27/2010, 12:34 AM
I have a PBT and YT in a 180 for over 2 years. Both are medium sized. No issues with aggression. PBT is significantly more aggressive to other fish and needs a lot of swimming space as others have said.

sminker
03/27/2010, 08:44 AM

wow. Wheres the Tang Police when you need them. Thats a bio-overload. Hopefully you do daily water changes and have a $1000 skimmer. lol

TampaReefer79
03/27/2010, 09:08 AM
wow. Wheres the Tang Police when you need them. Thats a bio-overload. Hopefully you do daily water changes and have a $1000 skimmer. lol

x 1,000,000

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 09:19 AM

TANG POLICE!

Seriously! The two I have in my 120 eat like there's no tomorrow! In a month the two tangs and the wrasse are my big feeders and have nearly gone through 1/4th of a 14x18" plate of PE mysis!! Of course that's not to mention all the pellets they get!

returnofsid
03/27/2010, 09:37 AM

i have a naso yellow and pbt in my 90. been there for 7 months no issues. no fighting no ich....

Both of these are just plain ridiculous. Just because you're doing it does NOT make it a good idea. In fact, both tanks are severely overstocked, IMO. Also, it's not just about stocking levels. Tangs need room to swim. Lots of room.

hottuna, your Tang list should be in a 500 or larger, and it'd still be over stocked.

sra127, you should have at least a 300 or larger for any Naso.

To the OP, a Yellow Tang would be just fine in a 90. However, the PBT needs a much larger tank.

biecacka
03/27/2010, 09:58 AM
yeah there are execptions to every rule and those are clearly one. i had 3 YT in my 220 and they fought so bad i had to give one up to the LFS to try to save his life!!
just cause you can do it doesnt mean its always a good idea......

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 11:39 AM
sra127, you should have at least a 300 or larger for any Naso.

Firmly agreed!

hottuna
03/28/2010, 07:32 AM
Sorry - you are all wrong...All my fish get along great...there's no "rule of thumb" with tangs...I dont know if he still cruises these boards -but a few years back I met a guy named Bob Levine in ct...he had a 300 gallon tank with 32 tangs in it !!! He explained to me that he added 5 at a time and varied the sizes....he also had no issues with his fish...Also:I do not run a $1000.00 skimmer , just an algae scrubber , carbon ,and poly filters...all my fish eat voraciously and are in perfect health..what's wrong with that???

TampaReefer79
03/28/2010, 07:44 AM
Sorry - you are all wrong...All my fish get along great...there's no "rule of thumb" with tangs...I dont know if he still cruises these boards -but a few years back I met a guy named Bob Levine in ct...he had a 300 gallon tank with 32 tangs in it !!! He explained to me that he added 5 at a time and varied the sizes....he also had no issues with his fish...Also:I do not run a $1000.00 skimmer , just an algae scrubber , carbon ,and poly filters...all my fish eat voraciously and are in perfect health..what's wrong with that???

You don't run a skimmer on a 125 with 7 tangs in it??? What other fish are in there? Do you have a FTS?

Bigfinn4
03/28/2010, 07:49 AM
I have a Blue Hippo, Yellow, and Powder Brown in my 90. They all swim together and the Blue hippo keeps the other two in check. My understanding is that the body shape-more than color-is the key. So, you can have a powder blue with a yellow tang...but not a powder blue with a powder brown.

Dadekster
03/28/2010, 09:51 AM
hey can i keep a pwder blue tand and a yellow tang in the same tank?

Yes, you can keep 32 tangs in a 300 gallon tank if you want. How natural that is and how long is something more open to debate. Regarding your two tangs in question...they both get about 8 inches give or take 1 or 2. In a 90 that is really pushing it imo and I have no idea who is sharing the tank with them. If you have other things grazing your live rock I'd say emphatically no. You'd probably be alright for a while if they were small assuming no outright aggression upon introduction, but later on I think you'd get issues. Not to mention it's just not enough room for two decent sized tangs.

7 large tangs in a 125 gallon sounds like a cichlid tank to me. :worried:

biecacka
03/28/2010, 10:21 AM
hottuna, your right it can be done. a lot can be done, im mearly saying jsut because it can be done doesnt mean it should be. ie bank robbery! lol
there are rules to every execption.

hottuna
03/28/2010, 10:39 AM
I dont equate bank robbery with keeping alot of tangs in a tank...I've been keeping marine fish since 1975...I love the animals I keep & the hobby...would never put fish in a situation where they were mistreated or abused...thats why I use algae based filtation-close to "NATURAL" (Dadekster) as possible...the algae that grows in my scrubber gets fed to the tangs on a weekly basis..recycling the nutrients...
as far as the original post-i was just trying to show the guy that yes,a powder blue and a yellow tang can be kept in a 90 gallon tank...if it was me doing it I would get VERY small fish to start with...any hint of aggression -one of the two would be removed.

biecacka
03/28/2010, 02:19 PM
didnt say you did was just saying because something can doesnt mean it should be. yes there are exceptions to all rules and you are one of them. im glad you dont have problems w your tangs. many of us have or do myself included. i was mearly saying it can be done but most would advise against it. my personal opinion thats all.
so you are right it can be done if dont properly with a little luck on the aggression of the fish you get.
thats all
:)

TampaReefer79
03/28/2010, 08:41 PM
I have a Blue Hippo, Yellow, and Powder Brown in my 90. They all swim together and the Blue hippo keeps the other two in check. My understanding is that the body shape-more than color-is the key. So, you can have a powder blue with a yellow tang...but not a powder blue with a powder brown.

Another big part of it is food competitor. In such a small tank, 2 big fish that are both algae eaters could fight just because they eat the same food.

Dadekster
03/28/2010, 08:55 PM
I dont equate bank robbery with keeping alot of tangs in a tank...I've been keeping marine fish since 1975...I love the animals I keep & the hobby...would never put fish in a situation where they were mistreated or abused...thats why I use algae based filtation-close to "NATURAL" (Dadekster) as possible...the algae that grows in my scrubber gets fed to the tangs on a weekly basis..recycling the nutrients...
as far as the original post-i was just trying to show the guy that yes,a powder blue and a yellow tang can be kept in a 90 gallon tank...if it was me doing it I would get VERY small fish to start with...any hint of aggression -one of the two would be removed.

I am happy to hear that your tangs are well fed and happy. You have the skills and experience to pull it off. It's just not everyone else does and not saying the OP doesn't...just there are enough failures to suggest its a bad idea. Keeping two full grown tangs in a 90 and keeping them healthy would test the mettle of most reef keepers imo. If this is the OP's first go with tangs combined with what I said earlier I'd say no again. :strange:

hottuna
03/29/2010, 07:00 AM
tampareefer79 : you are correct ...no powder brown with a powder blue...tried that once in a different tank a couple years back- it was instant WWIII...!!

MTH
03/29/2010, 09:29 PM
I have a Powder Blue with Yellows and Purples. The PB was introduced back when I had only one Purple. There was plenty of displaying and fanning from both parties that dropped of within a couple of days. Since then I've added another Purple and a couple of Yellows with no problems. Just keep them fed on a varied diet including nori and garlic soaked food items. My PB had a rough couple of weeks in the beginning due to being what looked to be a fresh import. Very skinny. He has since gained nice weight and is healthy as a horse.

RVANANO
03/30/2010, 07:25 AM
i have a 90 gallon ?

Another brilliant post by reefman911. And it seems he isn't even sure what size tank he has. Won't google or research anything himself. Even the size of his own tank. Way to go!!!

TampaReefer79
03/30/2010, 08:44 AM
I have a Powder Blue with Yellows and Purples. The PB was introduced back when I had only one Purple. There was plenty of displaying and fanning from both parties that dropped of within a couple of days. Since then I've added another Purple and a couple of Yellows with no problems. Just keep them fed on a varied diet including nori and garlic soaked food items. My PB had a rough couple of weeks in the beginning due to being what looked to be a fresh import. Very skinny. He has since gained nice weight and is healthy as a horse.

What size tank?