PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Anemone Help Please

ticklesworth
03/26/2010, 11:27 AM
Hey I am currently about six months into the hobby. I have am on my second BTA; first one murdered by the filter intake(classic newb mistake). For the past two weeks my anemone has been shrinking down every day from morning until mid afternoon. It gets green and the tentacles become string like. It hasn't died and every afternoon throughout the night it becomes large and healthy looking. I have fed it and check all the levels regularly. I cannot figure out what is happening. Please help.

tufacody
03/26/2010, 11:31 AM
Fairly normal for BTAs to get big after lots of light and shrink up at night. So long as you don't see any deterioration it should be ok

ticklesworth
03/26/2010, 11:45 AM
the thing that worries me is that the BTA does the opposite of what you said. it grows at night and shrinks during the day.

Toddrtrex
03/26/2010, 12:15 PM
What lights do you have? What lights was it under?

ticklesworth
03/28/2010, 03:03 PM
I have a 130 comflo setup. I think it may have been phosphates because i have bought some new phosphate remover for my filter and it has been getting better. Don't know how i missed that though. Thanks.

cisco006
03/30/2010, 05:13 PM
How long have you had the anemone.... It takes a while for them to fully acclimate to your tank, especially when it comes to lighting. In my experiences they can do a lot of weird things. Inflate and deflate, spew brown stuff out there mouths, hide from the light for weeks! But eventually with good water parameters, adequate lighting, and proper feeding, they should establish a normal routine... In my experiences they are healthiest when when the tentacles are nice and bulbed up, closed mouth, attached securely to rock where they can retract. Hope this helps.
cisco