PDA

View Full Version : remove yellow polyps,they are overtaking many corals

jim t
03/26/2010, 02:36 PM
What is the best way to remove the yellow polyps?
Will they grow back if I cut the heads off with scissors?
They are creating problems with my PPE and I can't see
my zoos and pink polys.
Thanks

kimber45
03/26/2010, 02:44 PM
dam paly's. i hate them.

i'm going through the same thing with "texas trash" palys.

tried joe's juice and it didn't seem to work so well. now i have aptiasia-x and it seems to work better.

cutting the heads off will just tick them off. you have to fully remove them or kill them.

jim t
03/26/2010, 02:50 PM
I think the aptasia x would kill all of the polyps/zoos?? I think?
I have used it on an area with only yellow plps and it just
slowed them down.

mfinn
03/26/2010, 04:30 PM
Man that's a tough one. Shame you let those damn yellow colonial polyps in your tank much less near a awesome colony of RPE's. Those are RPE's in the picture.
If you try and kalk them or use any other similar product, you will end up killing alot of the RPE's.
I would try and remove as many of the RPE's from the rock and reglue them to another clean rock.

lighthouze08
03/26/2010, 04:55 PM
i'm in the process of killing off my button polyps, i just injected them with kalk paste straight into the stalk of the polyps with a syringe, so far so good, they seem to shrink into a little ball. will report back the result in a day or two

jenglish
03/26/2010, 04:55 PM
Kalk paste can work. I have used a small propane torch to take out hydroids and aptaisa, it should work on those as well without being too damaging to nearby corals. You have to take it out of the water of course. :)

kimber45
03/26/2010, 05:06 PM
I think the aptasia x would kill all of the polyps/zoos?? I think?
I have used it on an area with only yellow plps and it just
slowed them down.

not sure on the aptasia-x as i've just started using it but joe's juice didn't seem to bother zoa's with indirect exposure. although it didn't really hurt the aptasia either. :P

I Love Corals
03/26/2010, 09:41 PM
Get yourself a mug hook or long screw that you can get a good grip on. Scrape them away with the business end of the screw. I do this for "Texas Trash" or "Brown Moon" polyps and it takes them along time to recover. Everything else seems to make them multiply. It will only take you minutes and it REALLY works well without hurting neighboring corals.

jim t
03/26/2010, 10:00 PM
I guess you would do that out of the water.