PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile A. Nigripes Photos?

JJ Ocean
03/26/2010, 07:18 PM
Looking for pics of juvenile Nigripes. Anybody have them?

The reason I'm asking is that my LFS has some clowns in they are calling blackfoot clowns which I know as nigripes (skunk complex), but they look like juvenile clarkii; maybe allardi - 3 bands with the top of the middle and rear stripes "smeared" towards the tail of the fish. My lfs usually has the scientific name under the common name on the tank, but in this case it wasn't (adding to my speculation). None of the staff couldt tell me the scientific name, but the manager looked up in the system and said they were nigripes. However, I don't know if he was just looking up Blackfoot clown or if he was looking up the manifest. I later find out that they say these are from a local breeder ... probably not a manifest then. The price is above average ($46) for a common clown, so it indicates nigripes, but they darn sure look like juv clarkii. I've seen plenty of adult nigripes, but never juvi's. I also know as a general rule that 3 stripe clowns grow into their stripes and 1/2 stripe clowns grow out of their stripes, so maybe they are nigripes. Any pic would help - searched and can't find one.

Any input? I'm kicking myself for not taking a photo with my blackberry.

David Thomson
03/26/2010, 10:16 PM
I have a breeding pair of Nigripes, and I have never seen any of the babies with 3 stripes at any age. The most is maybe 1 1/2 stripes, and most only ever develop the one head stripe.

mrbncal
03/26/2010, 10:39 PM
I dont think those are nigripes. I got mine when he was a little less than an inch, almost 3/4" and he only had 1 stripe on his head area. For 46 I would want a little better guarantee from the lfs first. jmo

jupiter
03/27/2010, 07:26 AM
I've seen a breeders tank of juvenile nigripes (online) and none of the fish had more than 1 (and maybe a partial) stripe.

JJ Ocean
03/27/2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks. Definitely sounds like they've got the wrong ID on the fish. I couldn't make it by there today and they are closed tomorrow. I'll take a pic on Monday. Thanks.

Rod Buehler
03/28/2010, 06:09 AM
Its been awhile and I only raised a few, but I only remember 1 stripe too

Dan
03/28/2010, 06:01 PM
I have also raised some. Looked like normal A. nigripes from metamorphosis onward. No extra stripes. Maybe "blackfoot" clown refers to A. melanopus, as some varieties have black pelvic fins, and small specimens can have 2 to 3 stripes.

Dan

JJ Ocean
03/29/2010, 08:21 PM
Went by there today and took another good look at them ... still looked like juv clarkii or juv allardi to me, but still had blackfoot sticker on their tank. I questioned their coral guy this time. He looked at the clowns, the sticker and back at the clowns ... "yep, they're clarkii". "We sold all the blackfoots a couple weeks ago, but I guess we never updated the sticker".

I'll spare everyone a pic of the juvi clarks ... I'm sure you've seen plenty! Thanks.

traveller7
03/31/2010, 11:43 PM
5 weeks old:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/14159DSC_0743-crop.jpg

fwiw: a rare specimen will have an additional stripe, but less then 5% of my fry have 2 if even 5%.

ILLiDaN
04/01/2010, 12:48 AM
sweet shot traveller 7, more juvi pics :D