PDA

View Full Version : Losing multiple fish to same symptom - reddened, distended stomach

E36328i
03/27/2010, 12:05 AM
Hello all,
I need a diagnosis!

I work at a LFS and I have been racking the internet and Marine Fish disease books for awhile now trying to pinpoint a culprit that our marine fish system has been having issues with. I was hoping some of the great people here could give me some insight or direction in where or what is causing this problem.

During our shipments we lose fish. Happens. There is always some losses in the fish biz, but as of late (in the past couple of months) our losses have been predominantly with the same symptoms. Fish will appear fine the first couple of days--they are eating, swimming normally, breathing normally, and otherwise looking like a pristine example of said fish. No flukes when they are dipped and no other obvious disease signs. Then the third, fourth, or fifth day they will exhibit bright red blotching of the stomach/anal area not unlike a bacterial infection, breathe rapidly, and die within an hour or less of the reddened area appearing. I have tried all manners of dips and medicinal treatments but once the red area appears, they are always gone within an hour or two. So they are always too far gone once the marks appear to be saved.

The only things I have looked up that seem similar would be fish TB (mycobacterium marinum), vibrosis, or possibly hemorrhagic septicemia? I also am wondering if some of these fish were collected via cyanide poisoning. Does anyone know what fish typically look like when they die of cyanide poisoning? I do know cyanide causes massive hemorrhaging. The fish effected are completely random and no particular kind has been predominant. I'm pretty sure it must be a manner of bacterial infection. Just curious if anyone else has seen similar issues with fish and what it was identified as for them.

I know a picture speaks a thousand words so I will try to get some pictures up soon.

Thanks!

billsreef
03/27/2010, 10:41 AM
Is it happening to specific types of fish, or all?

If it's what I'm thinking, the fix is finding a better wholesaler.

Inklinkerman
03/27/2010, 10:49 AM
The distended reddening followed by swift death is obviously internal bleeding. As for the cause? Could be a virus, or like you said cyanide. Has this spread to any fish not in the shipment?

E36328i
03/30/2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the replies.

As for which fish it effects, it seems to effect all species pretty evenly. Only ones I haven't seen it happen to were triggers (go figure). Doesn't seem like the issue comes from a single supplier as we've had it happen from everyone. It doesn't happen on every shipment but when it does happen, the fish who get past the first few days after acclimation (3-4) have no issues whatsoever and we've had a few odd fish here and there that have been in our system for months.

Doesn't seem like it has any effect on any other fish in the system, as aforementioned, once they get past the first few days they never come down with it. So probably hemorrhaging?

billsreef
03/30/2010, 08:38 PM
Doesn't seem like it has any effect on any other fish in the system, as aforementioned, once they get past the first few days they never come down with it. So probably hemorrhaging?

If it doesn't spread to fish already in the system, it is most likely a result of damage from collecting and shipping before it gets to you. Start really tracking what gets it and from what suppliers, and talk to those suppliers...assuming they will even give the time of day with the notion the problem is actually their supply chain.

Jambi40-6&2
03/30/2010, 09:33 PM
It sounds like it could be a bacterial infection called Vibrio. It can be treated w/ nifurpirinol, sulfonamide, kanamycin or streptomycin. A UV sterilizer helps fight bacteria also, you probably know already. Hope you find the culprit.