PDA

View Full Version : Co2 reglators/calcium reactor question

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 11:46 AM
After my recent Alk drop, I started looking into the possibility of getting a calcium reactor, and found out a buddy of mine had one for sale locally, however, all he has is the reactor, and not the co2 tank and regulator/etc...

Having never messed with such things before, I was hoping that someone could give me some guidance on this forum. I've read about alot of different things. So, I was going to order the empty CO2 cylinder from Marine Depot. Seems reasonably priced... 5 pound cylinder (http://www.marinedepot.com/CO2_Cylinder_CO2_Gas_Tanks_Cylinders_for_Aquariums-CO2-CO1113-FICOCY-vi.html) But they also offer this option (http://www.marinedepot.com/Deluxe_CO2_Regulator_with_5_lbs_CO2_Tank_CO2_Gas_Tanks_Cylinders_for_Aquariums-CO2-CO2K-FICOCY-vi.html) that has a regulator.

So my question is this: Are all regulators created equal? I would assume the cylinders are created equal. They're empty cans. But what sort of features should I look for in a regulator, and what will I need in a regulator? I'm seeing single and dual gauge... how much and what kind of tubing will I need? What is a 'solenoid' and will I need one? What are these electronic regulators, and are they any good?

I'm a strong believer in 'save up and do it right the first time', so that's what I'd like to do. I was hoping you pros could save me some time, money and headaches with a bit of guidance and advice :D I've never done a calcium reactor before!

Thanks!
Renee

Tater11
03/27/2010, 11:54 AM
that bottle is great.as far as regulators i just ordered this one i love it the best one i've used by far.http://www.marinedepot.com/AquariumPlants_Electronic_Analog_CO2_Regulator_CO2_Regulators_for_Aquariums-AquariumPlants.com-XQ1111-FICORE-vi.html

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 11:56 AM
Yea, I've seen the electronic regulators (I guess they're not NEW anymore, I've been a tankgirl for about 20 years now, LOL! I had aquariums in the '80s ;) ) How well do those work? Easy to control?

scottwhitson
03/27/2010, 12:01 PM
All regulators are NOT created equal. The one in the link above is an EXCELLENT one however. I had a Milwaukee before I purchased the one from aquariumplants.com and it was very inconsistent. If it were me I would call a few welding supply stores in your area and see how much a full CO2 tank will cost you. The problem with buying one off the internet is MOST places don't refill your tank they just exchange it. So you payed for this brand new tank and they swap you out with one that is a little banged up, painted, stickers on it etc.... We purchased a tank from a welding supply store and my wife and SIL made a cover from some elastic material to cover it so you can't see the tank itself.

Tater11
03/27/2010, 12:06 PM
Yea, I've seen the electronic regulators (I guess they're not NEW anymore, I've been a tankgirl for about 20 years now, LOL! I had aquariums in the '80s ;) ) How well do those work? Easy to control?they are very easy i had a milwaukee and it was inconsistent.the one i showed you is working great.and aquariumplants.com has great customer service i fill my co2 tank at a local fire extinguiser place they always fill my bottles right there.keep my same bottles.

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the tip, Scott. I'll call a couple of welding supply stores. I expect to get the reactor itself next week, but so far I don't even have the main body ;)

I'm doing some more reading, and getting some more tips from RC. Milwaukee, BAD. JBJ, GOOD. Aquariumplants.com GOOd. Any thoughts on the Reef Fanatic Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid?

jus chillin
03/27/2010, 12:09 PM
i agree with scott , check your local welding shop and go that route.. as for regulator check out bulk reef supply.. they have some pretty good deals!...

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 12:20 PM
BRS only seems to have the out of stock Reef Fanatic, but I found a used Reef Fanatic regulator, thus the asking about the Reef Fanatics ;)

scottwhitson
03/27/2010, 12:25 PM
I think it is hard to beat the aquariumplants.com regulator with there electronic metering it is much more accurate than a needle valve. Needle valves are very prone to clogging and thus your BPM slow down and you have to keep tweaking it.

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 12:27 PM
okay, you just sold me! I'm a mother of 2 preschoolers, so I have to have 'set it and forget it' on my tank :)

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 12:30 PM
So, if I were to get the Aquariumplants.com one (blech, 189 is alot of money!) and the cylinder (of course), the reactor itself... what else, if anything, will I need?

scottwhitson
03/27/2010, 12:38 PM
You need some way of pumping water through the reactor. There are a few different ways of doing this, you can get a small dedicated pump such as a maxi-jet, you can tee off the return line of your sump pump, or you can get a peristaltic pump (alot of money). The peristaltic pump is of course the best way as you control the speed of the pump and don't have to use a valve but it costs alot more. I have been using a small gate valve on my reactor and have to adjust it every couple of days but it works for now. I would also recommend a digital PH meter or better yet a PH controller for safety reasons.

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 12:47 PM
I have an AC3 that has a PH controller as part of it..

As for the way to pump water through the reactor, I have a number of pumps, from a Rio 600 to a Mag 9.5, I'm sure I can find something that'll work.

scottwhitson
03/27/2010, 12:56 PM
Sounds good. Be sure to get a valve to control the effluent rate and some CO2 proof tubing and you should be good to get started. Oh yeah and some media.

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 01:06 PM
heh, yea, media kinda goes without saying ;) I'm pretty sure I have valves in my spare parts bin... co2 tubing, now I just gotta figure out how to plumb the darn thing. Fortunately my buddy's offering to help there.

Thanks guys! :)

flamron
03/27/2010, 01:18 PM
My aquariumplants regulator will be here on Monday. I have been trying to dial in my needle valve, but it keeps stopping after a few hours. So I've ran my Alk up to 15 dKh. Now i have my co2 off until i get my new regulator. I'm hoping to get the new electronic regulator and get it dialed it and have no more problems!!

GL!

flamron
03/27/2010, 01:21 PM
Also, if you have room for the 10lb bottle, you can get twice as much CO2 for about 2-3 bucks. I filled my 20lb bottle for 19 bucks and my friend fills his 10lb for $15 and his 5lb for $13.

scottwhitson
03/27/2010, 03:10 PM
Flamron you will be AMAZED at how easy it is to "dial" in your reactor now.

Aynesa
03/27/2010, 04:17 PM
http://premiumaquatics.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PA&Product_Code=M3-CO3111&Category_Code=

How about this one? Is it any good?

bluface
03/27/2010, 04:38 PM
Stick with the electronic one. It will save you money in the long run. I have gone thru three of the crap ones so far...

kentlighting
03/28/2010, 04:25 PM
seems like no one has answerd this yet but a soleniod is an electric valve. electricity is applied and it opens, electricity goes away it closes. its great for having a PH monitor to hook up to it to control PH and the release of Co2

Tek_Diver
03/28/2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.marinedepot.com/AquariumPlants_Electronic_Analog_CO2_Regulator_CO2_Regulators_for_Aquariums-AquariumPlants.com-XQ1111-FICORE-vi.html

The best way to go.......

mx270
03/29/2010, 04:17 PM
Is there any good reason to get the LED counter on the aquariumplants regulator?

flamron
03/29/2010, 04:59 PM
It's cool!!! :thumbsup: