PDA

View Full Version : Insanely Overstocked Tank- Check this out!

jillianmarquett
03/27/2010, 03:57 PM
Check this idiots tank out. Very sickening.:mad2: Leave a comment and get this person to take these fish back to the store.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjw_IEuSF_s

Jillian

username in use
03/27/2010, 04:00 PM
looks to me like he still has room for a harem of groupers.

kentlighting
03/27/2010, 04:07 PM
I have to agree that is small for the fish provided, but leaving comments on his/hers youtube video isnt going to do anything except push him farther away from the online community. that or nothing at all.

Some random person yelling at me over the internet isn't going to affect my real life, i might get [profanity]off for a few minutes but thats it.

sTefaniA
03/27/2010, 04:14 PM
people who are putting too many fish in too small tanks, because of ignorance or other, should be pointed to their mistake
most of them don't even realise they are doing something wrong, and telling them their tank looks good isn't going to change the fact that housing animals too small is animal cruelty
if it would be a horse in a dog cage everyone would care, right?

Alex T.
03/27/2010, 04:20 PM
kentlighting,

I disagree. I hope it pushes him so far away from this hobby that he takes up stamp collecting.

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 04:28 PM
the video was posted in mid feb. and so far the guy has had no responces whatsoever and now the RC community gets a hold of it and there are ten posts on the video already! lol this guy is going to be overwhelmed with the messages all of a sudden!

This tank totally has to have collapsed by now I imagine!

robow
03/27/2010, 04:29 PM
I have seen posts like this before, generally commenting on their youtube video leads to the offender posting more videos of their new fish and bragging how great their tank is and that you don't know what you are talking about.

Why not get this thread closed and suggest to the guy that he join a good forum like reef central that will help him and not give him grief for being new to a hobby.

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 04:51 PM
What about the reefkeeping magazine article some 1.2 yrs ago when they closed the "new to the hobby" forum scrutinizing newbies for their mistakes and failures because they were a liability to the rest of us and raising the cost of doing business?

I don't know what about it....I'm just saying. We all scrutinize new reef keepers, and especially those of us working in any LFS have stories and customers like this guy all the time. It's truely agitating, and maybe they are a liability to the rest of us?

Although I have to commend the newbies that have found and utlized RC as a resource, they're definately a step ahead of this guy on youtube!

jillianmarquett
03/27/2010, 04:56 PM
I think that the broader picture is to take the video clips down. There will always be some people who mistreat fish but the problem is amplified when they get posted for the entire world to see.

Ritten
03/27/2010, 05:01 PM
People do things just to incite people. That clown looks familiar with it's surrounding, but the rest of the fish act like they were just put in there. They don't even respond to the food being blown in there right away.

pledosophy
03/27/2010, 05:21 PM
What about the reefkeeping magazine article some 1.2 yrs ago when they closed the "new to the hobby" forum scrutinizing newbies for their mistakes and failures because they were a liability to the rest of us and raising the cost of doing business?

Are you reffering to the April Fools Day joke?

The Newbie forum was never closed. :lol::lol::lol:

robow
03/27/2010, 05:23 PM

If people quit getting in to reefing and marine aquariums the cost of the hobby will go up for every one, less demand will lead to less supply.

flyyyguy
03/27/2010, 05:51 PM
it wasnt so much overstocked as just a poor choice in fish

how about this one?

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid64.photobucket.com/albums/h181/flyyyguy/smilies/191775-JeffreyYeung0039.flv">

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 06:00 PM
If people quit getting in to reefing and marine aquariums the cost of the hobby will go up for every one, less demand will lead to less supply.

Yeah that is solid economic reasoning.

However, the liability that the loss and destruction of marine organisims in captivity still reflects badly upon the community. The opponents of our hobby and those pushing legislation such as HR669 and so forth indiscriminately will cite examples of such mistreatment and failures, despite the fact that most of us in the community are excellent at accomodating our animals.

Are you reffering to the April Fools Day joke?

The Newbie forum was never closed. :lol::lol::lol:

I didn't realize that it was an april fools joke. In fact there was a pretty aggressive article written there. It doesn't seem like something you would joke about. And quite frankly I didn't really dis-agree with the points made. It was a pretty solid argument.

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah, although this was comical, it may or may not have been an april fools joke;

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/09-04/newbie/index.php

maxheadroom
03/27/2010, 07:48 PM
the same person has an updated vid from March 24th. lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T2dYHP_J6Y&feature=channel

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 08:19 PM
its the same video, like exactly the same. He probably posted it to make everybody think that everything was still actually alive!

pledosophy
03/27/2010, 09:59 PM
Yeah, although this was comical, it may or may not have been an april fools joke;

Ya I'm sure your right, the article coming out on April 1st was probably just a coincidence. Especially since all of those thigns have happended now.

Try not to take things so seriously, this is a hobby, it's fun. :dance:

saltn07
03/27/2010, 10:08 PM
That poor purple in that cube, I could almost feel the stress...

saltn07
03/27/2010, 10:13 PM
The article at
Freaking hilarious!!

ReefTECK
03/27/2010, 10:29 PM
Ya I'm sure your right, the article coming out on April 1st was probably just a coincidence. Especially since all of those thigns have happended now.

Try not to take things so seriously, this is a hobby, it's fun. :dance:

I was looking for the publish date on that article and I couldn't! Alright so it was. I'm saying it made me laugh! so don't take things so seriously. gawd! lol

Johnny C
03/27/2010, 11:19 PM
Do you guys realize that he is from Asia? I'd hate to see some of your reactions to the typical stocking practices of Asian LFS's.

Either way... negativity isn't the answer. You should try to help him with your knowledge versus flaming him to death for his ignorance. :idea:

Scungili
03/27/2010, 11:58 PM
Actually it makes me think of my 180gal and the fact that I have 3 tangs about 4" and that is too much. I'm going to pass on flaming this guy, it's just relative to your steeple, and I'm as guilty as the rest.

I need to get rid of my powder brown or blue, (they fight too much, don't ever get 2 of any powder tangs, I didn't know this prior...).

I think I will cook up some sticky rice and have a delicious sushi din-din.

Just Kidding... I will give it back to the LFS, of course.

3rotorFD
03/28/2010, 01:47 AM
[profanity] that is not cool!

kentlighting
03/28/2010, 01:56 AM
kentlighting,

I disagree. I hope it pushes him so far away from this hobby that he takes up stamp collecting.

Well thats very kind of you. Im trying to say you attract more bees with honey. you go around yelling at people saying their doing it wrong is either a gonna push him away and then their is one less person in this hobby, which lets face it is better for the fish that yet to be pulled from the natural oceans. Or they will get [profanity]off and ignore you or try to prove you wrong, or be scared to ask questions to better themselves for fear that they'll be yelled at again. I personally would take the yelling as some crazed PETA person that worships the ground a dog poops on.

Now i'm not trying to argue whats wrong or whats right for the fish, im sure that not all of my fish are tank bred. What Im trying to say if you truly care about the fish you'd take a better approach. How can you assume that they know what they are doing wrong? no where does it say "look at these fish i've stuck in a tank waaaay to small for them lol rofl" if that was the case i would understand the abrasive approach. but thats not the case. offering some friendly advise might make them enlightened to their mistakes and hopefully they will be receptive to the wisdom and change their ways.

For the good of the Hobby and the animals we care about i think the more people in this hobby the better and the more educated we can make everyone the better for the animals.

dc
03/28/2010, 10:53 AM
I have to agree that is small for the fish provided, but leaving comments on his/hers youtube video isnt going to do anything except push him farther away from the online community. that or nothing at all.

Some random person yelling at me over the internet isn't going to affect my real life, i might get profanity removedoff for a few minutes but thats it.

Kind of like starting these threads, they serve no purpose to rile people up for something they have no control over.

We're done.