PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clown Eating BTA Tentacles?

99sf
03/28/2010, 12:30 AM
The maroon clownfish has lived in this 150 gallon tank for about 4 years. She is about 4.5 inches long. The tank has 2 250W MH pendants, and stable parameters.

Today, I bought a bubble tip anemone. After the anemone was in the tank for about three minutes, the GSM became extremely interested in the nem. She began pulling tentacles into her mouth. A couple of times, I saw that part of the tentacle came off and dangled from her lips. :mad2:

Is this unusual behavior? She also became very aggressive today, chasing the clarkii clown away from the anemone, and away from the scolymia that she also claims as her territory. Right now, I have placed a net over the anemone, to save its tentacles from the clown's mouth. Tried catching the clown, to banish her to the sump, but she is too fast for my net. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Drone
03/28/2010, 09:11 AM
I've had clowns nip at new anemones at first. It usually subsides in a couple of days. It's not normally a continuous thing....just every once in a while throughout the day. If the anemone isn't very small and the clown isn't really tearing it up I'd let it go and keep an eye on it.

Kevin

Drone
03/28/2010, 06:39 PM
Well? did she slow down or chow down? :)

Sullyman
03/28/2010, 08:23 PM
I have seen clownfish do this but never to the extent that the anemone's badly damaged. Do you know if the clown was tank bred or collected?

burntchrisp
03/28/2010, 08:34 PM
When I introduced my cinnamon it niped off all of my RBTA tentacles but one. Thought it would'nt make it and had to feed it silversides by hand till they all grew back. Now it's doing great. I tried to put a piece of plastic mesh over it to protect but the clown pulled at it so I removed it. Good luck