PDA

View Full Version : Lighting choice for a refugium

bderos
03/28/2010, 10:16 AM
How does one determine the lighting power type for a refugium. Mine measures about 18"x15"x8" - it's 18" deep. I'm always cleaning the white/red foamy, crusty algea build up off the top of the water about once a week. The light i have on it right now is a Corallife with 2 10,000K 18watt power compact bulbs.

mfinn
03/28/2010, 10:58 AM
I use the light recommended here.
But even the bulb used for comparison works.
IMO anything in the 51k to 65k
http://www.melevsreef.com/fuge_bulb.html

bderos
03/28/2010, 11:35 AM
It seems like I don't need to buy an expensive light fixture to get the type of lighting needed for my refugium??? That's cool.

mfinn
03/28/2010, 11:44 AM
It seems like I don't need to buy an expensive light fixture to get the type of lighting needed for my refugium??? That's cool.

Just a $5 clamp-on fixture from Home Depot works great.

rob.mwpropane
03/28/2010, 12:54 PM
I saw the par38 screw in type bulbs for 60$ at home depot. Very intense leds. Can't wait to try it out. So far I've only seen it in 41k, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to start selling something higher, but 41 would work ok. FWIW it puts the regular cf flashlights to shame and supposedly lasts much longer.

mfinn
03/28/2010, 02:01 PM
I saw the par38 screw in type bulbs for 60$ at home depot. Very intense leds. Can't wait to try it out. So far I've only seen it in 41k, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them to start selling something higher, but 41 would work ok. FWIW it puts the regular cf flashlights to shame and supposedly lasts much longer.

There is no way I'd spend that much on a refugium light bulb when a $8 will do fine.

rob.mwpropane
03/28/2010, 02:46 PM
There is no way I'd spend that much on a refugium light bulb when a $8 will do fine.

While that might be true, the leds will last for years as opposed to six months from a cf. And the intensity is much greater than that of a cf. I would love to change over to using 2 par38 over top my refugium and forget about it for a couple years. FWIW I do see an increase in growth when I change out the cf, so I know they degrade fairly quickly. With leds, I think It would be a set and forget setup.

mfinn
03/28/2010, 03:06 PM
Are we talking about a competion with lights, or a something that helps remove nutrients from a reef tank.
A refugium that has the same amount of macro algae with a cf light will work just as well as a refugium with the bulbs you are talking about it removing nutrients from the water.
I guess the difference is I spend about $8 per year, once a year.

Low tech works for me and my tank.

slief
03/28/2010, 03:17 PM
I am using a pair of these lights of america 65w 6500K (http://www.lightsofamerica.com/en/Products/9265.aspx) sercurity flourescent fixtures on my 36"x30" fuge. My chaeto has grown well over 10x its original size on 30 days. That is not an exageration either. I started with a small bag of the stuff and pulled pounds of it out of my fuge a few days ago and my fuge is still full of it. They also have some lower wattage 6 watt and 27 watt lights in the same color sprectrum. The complete fixtures with the bulbs are cheap and rugged. They have a nice cover with a clean lens to keep the bulbs from getting wet or dirty.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Sump%20rr/installed3.jpg

ExFOWLR
03/28/2010, 04:43 PM
I use a clamp on type like some of the others and use a par 38 flood bulb that I bought off the shelf at Lowes. It is a 6500k with the internal mirror reflector,26W CFL 100w equivalent and puts out a ton of light. I cant remember the brand but I think it was a GE or a Sylvania.

mfinn
03/28/2010, 04:54 PM
While that might be true, the leds will last for years as opposed to six months from a cf. And the intensity is much greater than that of a cf. I would love to change over to using 2 par38 over top my refugium and forget about it for a couple years. FWIW I do see an increase in growth when I change out the cf, so I know they degrade fairly quickly. With leds, I think It would be a set and forget setup.

LEDs seem to be really changing the whole idea of lighting the way it's been though of. Maybe this is just another example, but I like my low tech
way, and cheaper.

Todd from Cherry Corals came to a reef club frag swap and brought a really cool led fixture (main tank lighting ) that had adjustments for the whole specturm.
It was pretty expensive, but ultra cool.
Maybe when leds come down in price.........

biecacka
03/28/2010, 06:31 PM
side note, mfinn what lights do you have on your 240 softy tank and what are its dim?
sorry to ask not trying to hijack

mfinn
03/28/2010, 06:35 PM
side note, mfinn what lights do you have on your 240 softy tank and what are its dim?
sorry to ask not trying to hijack

72" x 30" x 25"
3 x 250 watt 14k mh
4 x 160 watt VHO
3-actinic, 1 50/50