PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/2 Maximas. Acclimation?

Nicholasbithell
03/28/2010, 10:20 AM
I just recently purchased 2, one and a half inch maximas and was wondering about the acclimation time they go thru in the tank. I purchased them yesterday and they are not opening up to much just enough to see the tips of the mantles. Will they do this for a while?

moliken
03/28/2010, 10:46 AM
what are your tank facts:
size light inhabitants where are the maxis placed, etc?

Nicholasbithell
03/28/2010, 11:39 AM
Its is a 90 gallon tank. They are halfway up in the rockwork under 2 x250 watt 10k MH's. In habitants are Kole tang, Sixline wrasse, 2 percs, hermits, strawberry psudo, cardinals, Midas blenny.

NYCBOB
03/28/2010, 12:49 PM
as long as temp and sg r similar, there isnt a need to acclimate the clams. the only acclimation i can think of is if the clams came from much lower light source than what u currently hv.

moliken
03/28/2010, 01:40 PM
have they opened up any more. that's the key ?? my new purchases usu'ly open fine in the next day period.
lighting is fine as long as bulbs arent too old. what about yr cuc? any crabs that might be an issue?

Nicholasbithell
03/28/2010, 02:13 PM
No, no crabs are bothering it. What do you mean by "yr cuc" (I have no idea what that is) Well I am starting to think that they are going to take a bit to perk up, because the lfs that i purchased them from wanted 50 for the pair and when I saw the pair they were laying on there sides closed in the sand so from what I can tell they are doing better than the store. Any tips?

moliken
03/28/2010, 03:33 PM
your clean up crew = "yr cuc."
pictures??

Nicholasbithell
03/28/2010, 06:59 PM
Here is a pic of both of them on the same rock.
This is about as much as I have seen them open since yesterday.
Should I jut give them time? Or is there an issue?

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 04:58 PM
Here are a few pointers to acclimate your clam with minimal stress.

1. Try not to remove them from the water, its not that great for air to get inside of the flesh of the clam and remain traped as a bubble under its flesh.

2. Float bag in the aquarium for about 30mins gradualy adding a little of the water from the aquarium every 5mins that way the clam gets used to the chemistry of your aquarium without being plunged into it and giving it shock and stressing it out.

3. Take good care of your aquarium. If your chemistry is pretty off then the shock from the water its used to and yours will stress it out big time.

4. All livestock by the time it has made it to your aquarium has been plucked out of the sea transported to facilities where conditions arnt best, then shipped over seas, plunged into another facility, then sent back out again to a retailer who yet again stresses it out and then you grab and stress it out yourself. So be carefull and be extremely caring. Whatever it is, it is stressed out by the time you get it and proubly hasnt eatin much through the whole trip and what it has eatin might have expelled due to the stress of the whole deal.

And always best to leave it alone till the next day. This includes feeding. Give it time to rest!

moliken
03/29/2010, 05:08 PM
if they still are closed this much, like in the picture, i would say there is an issue, but not sure what the issue might be.

Nicholasbithell
03/29/2010, 07:37 PM
They have opened a tiny bit more... Its almost like thats all the mantle they have... What would you recommend?

Do you think they possibly need to be fed? like in a container?

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 07:45 PM
No, I dont feed my clams at all they can survive just by sitting in your aquarium. I explained this in another post where a guy was asking about feeding. Just let them be, they need to recover a little bit, they proubly are a bit stressed thats all. If they continue to not open its either they are too stressed or there is something about your chemistry they are not responding positivly to.Also make sure there is no harsh flow directed towards them cause that might keep them from opening.

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 07:47 PM
Here is what I posted on the other post were they were talking about feeding:

FYI I keep hundreds of clams and they always do best for me when in the sand bed and not perched on a rock. If the fall and get banged up or the mantle isnt faced up they can suffer and stress out enough to kill them. Also i don't feed my clams anything. They survive completly off what they gather from the water. Ive never seen it anywhere but clams feed off of ammonia that your fish put off, in fact I knew one guy who grew and would breed his clams and he said he would pee in his water to feed them the ammonia from his urin. Admitadly not the cleanest of processes but he did illustrate the point.

moliken
03/29/2010, 08:28 PM
no feeding necessary.

Nicholasbithell
03/29/2010, 08:33 PM
SO you think they should be placed on the sandbed? Not the rockwork?

Wahine
03/29/2010, 08:33 PM
WOW, Clamsondemand. would love to see some pics of your hundreds of clams!!!

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 08:38 PM
Yeah sand is always best bet. I will try to get a pic of my 400gallon holding tanks up by end of this week for you guys to look at. I have 450 clams right now from 2" to around 6" -7" Maxima, Crocea and Squamosa. Its a site seeing that many clams lol.

Wahine
03/29/2010, 08:51 PM
WOW 400+ in 400 gallons-thats a little tight squeeze! So are you a business because you said holding tank or do you keep them all?

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 08:55 PM
We are a business, and its more than one 400gallon tank so not as tight as you are thinking lol.

Wahine
03/29/2010, 08:59 PM
oh,i looked up your site but you only have a few croces. will it be updated soon?

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah its under construction right now what you see are test pics and stuff. We have a guy working on the programing if you keep checking back youll see it always changing cause the building is live. My guys are shooting for fully functional by end of week. And will have some clams up by a week or two.

ClamsOnDemand
03/29/2010, 09:09 PM
And youll see all the custom graffics and stuff. Its gonna look nice and has alot of cool features built in.

Whisperer
03/30/2010, 05:35 AM
Survival rate of small maximas are dismal. Good luck.

ClamsOnDemand
03/30/2010, 10:05 AM
It can be done.....Just treat it right!

ezcompany
03/30/2010, 12:29 PM
leave it alone, make sure nothing is bothering it, and it should be fine.
if it wasn't going to make it then it wouldn't have made it even before you purchased it.

Nicholasbithell
03/31/2010, 01:25 PM
Update: I lost my little black and white guy... :( But my purple seems to be doing way better! Yay we will see tho...

ClamsOnDemand
03/31/2010, 02:02 PM
well that is 50% good news hah.