PDA

View Full Version : Clown Fish and Anemone

saltwater111
03/28/2010, 04:41 PM
This is probably a fairly normal questions but I don't know the answer. I have a 400 gallon reef tank with all kinds of big fish. I've been in the hobby for a long time but never tried clown fish and an anemone. I got a green and rose bubble anemone. I got a mated pair of clown fish used to hosting an anemone. I've had the clown fish for about 5 days. The anemones are always open but the fish have no interest in them.

Am I doing something wrong?

mstrpln03
03/28/2010, 05:16 PM
They will not always choose a host anemone. You could try herding them into it. They also may just find it themselves in time. I would give it another week and if they haven't chosen to stay in the anemone, I would take a net and just urge them towards it with out catching them in the net. If your anemone is situated where they can just skirt around it, use 2 nets (one on either side of the anemone) and close them in on the anemone.

I can tell you that often a pair of clowns will host only one anemone and if taken from that one will not host another, also, certain clownfish will only choose a specific type of anemone. I am not very well versed on the type of clownfish and the specific type of anemones they associate with, a search here or on google should find that info. I can tell you that I have Perculas and False Perculas that do have host BTA's.

Good luck.

saltwater111
03/28/2010, 06:33 PM
I bought the clown fish from a breeder who told me the fish did next in a RBTA which is one of my anemones. It's location is up on top of my rock wall easy for them to get to.

Thanks for your insite.

celamb89
03/28/2010, 11:13 PM
hosting can take a long time! they might host or might not.. My ocellaris took about 2 weeks to host my LTA but it loves it now! So dont be discouraged just be patient and maybe someday you will wake up and the clown will be hosting!