PDA

View Full Version : Eggcrate enough to keep firefish in the tank?

piscivorous
03/28/2010, 06:49 PM
I have about a 4 1/2" opening in the back of my canopy where the overflows and wiring run through, (and the fans push the hot air out of). I was considering cutting some eggcrate to use as a back panel to fill in this open space to keep anything from jumping out of the tank and behind the stand. Are the 1/2" openings in the eggcrate sufficient to keep things (specifically firefish) from managing to carpet surf?
The other option is to use eggcrate as a lid directly on top of the tank (over the water and under the lights), but I am concerned about how much that will affect my light output etc. I was thinking a back wall of eggcrate was the better option...if the holes are small enough.....

divewsharks
03/28/2010, 07:19 PM
the eggcrate would help, but no guarantees. if you want guarantees you need to use something like nylon screen -- no physical way for fish to fit thru holes...

iamwrasseman
03/28/2010, 08:31 PM
eggcrate is to large .you need either fine plastic mest 1/4"or go to home depot and get gutter guard as it is about that width and also made of plastic so it wont hurt your tank.