PDA

View Full Version : risks involved in proping RBTA ?

BISHY
03/28/2010, 09:37 PM
what risks are involved in proping a RBTA. i have a large RBTA i would like to cut in half but am not sure how risky this could be to the entire nem, or each half if cut ?

would like some people experiences with proping there nems.. even if it wasn't a BTA.

slosht
03/28/2010, 10:30 PM
never had a nem, but don't they split on their own?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

BISHY
03/29/2010, 01:39 AM
they split usually from stress.... not good health.

Seeing Green
03/29/2010, 04:31 AM
A woman in my local club has said that her splits like clockwork once per year, within a week. Risk in proping it are that it dies. Reward is that you can get up to 4 copies of it in short order.

iamwhatiam52
03/29/2010, 05:43 AM
Please don't try to cut it in half.
It can be done, but should only be attempted by experienced anemone keepers.
They do split, at intervals and under circumstances unclear to anyone. Stress (not life threatening stress) is often cited as stimulating it, but I do not believe this is the only factor. Mine grow like weeds, do not seem stressed in any way I can tell, and went from one to four in less than a year.
Just enjoy it, keep it healthy as you can, and let nature take its course.

AD87
03/29/2010, 07:41 AM
You can cut them in half very easily I have cut some into quarters. There is always a risk of killing the whole anemone.

WDLV
03/29/2010, 09:56 AM
There are a number of reasons that they split ranging from stress to reaching an acceptable size. If you have a healthy anemone, it should not be a problem to divide it. There are plenty of threads out there showing where someone has cut one into quarters. I've not manually divided any. Not for fear but for laziness.

If you have a healthy BTA and want to propagate it, I see no reason not to do so. Just do a little research first.

MarineFlake
03/29/2010, 04:11 PM
there are a number of reasons that they split ranging from stress to reaching an acceptable size. If you have a healthy anemone, it should not be a problem to divide it. There are plenty of threads out there showing where someone has cut one into quarters. I've not manually divided any. Not for fear but for laziness.

If you have a healthy bta and want to propagate it, i see no reason not to do so. Just do a little research first.

+1

StillerNat
03/29/2010, 05:02 PM
+2

I have a 10" RBTA that i have been thinking of diving myself. i noticed a few videos on youtube of people cutting their nems into quarters with no problem. all you need is a cutting board, sharp razor blade and rubbing alchol tosterlize it.

BISHY
03/29/2010, 05:36 PM
im 50/50 to cut or not. i believe it is very healthy. it is about 12+ inches across when expanded and the trunk ? is about that long too. good colour, feeds very well. ill do more research as suggested first. you tube seems like a good place to see how others do it.

romanr
03/29/2010, 06:05 PM
I've seen Anthony Calfo do it a few times. You need a healthy established specimen and you need to know what you are doing but it really isn't that complicated. I would cut it in 1/2 and not 1/4's if it was your first attempt. Keep in mind that there is always a chance that you will loose the anemone or that 1/2 will do fine and the other 1/2 die. But for the most part is pretty easy and safe to do if you know what you are doing.