PDA

View Full Version : Is this Normal?

timjoemak
03/29/2010, 07:04 AM
Hey guys, I just need tons of advice regarding what I'm about to type out here. Last year, in my previous post, I failed keeping my BTA alive, and it lasted for about 7 months if I'm not mistaken.

This year, I made an attempt again to care for another BTA, the Pink Tipped Bubble Anemone. I just added him a couple of days ago, roughly 5 days ago, and in my tank I've got 2 clownfishes one which was added 2 months ago and another one a week ago. The latest one added is very small, confirming it as a male whereas the older one is much bigger.

Yesterday morning, I woke up really happy seeing the larger clownfish hosting the Pink Tipped Bubble anemone, but one question would be, since the larger clown is hosting the anemone, why isn't the smaller one doing the same thing? The smaller clown is just swimming around the tank, but no where near the anemone. Is there something weird or does it happen sometimes?

Thanks again, cheers.

AD87
03/29/2010, 07:39 AM
Sometimes it just takes time.

Slickcg33
03/29/2010, 07:45 AM
Shes probably not letting him in. Anytime the clowns establish new territory, the female reminds the male who's boss... Shell eventually let him in, and youll notice they might be sleeping together, even though he isnt in the nem during the day. Perfectly normal.

timjoemak
03/29/2010, 07:52 AM
Yeahh the bigger one constantly shoos him away LOL.. Well, I hope there 'IS' and eventually, poor small one hanging around the corner of the tank constantly looking at the bigger clownfish... ><

velvetelvis
03/29/2010, 09:22 AM
When I had my pair of Clark's, they did the same thing. The female adopted a long-polyped toadstool leather as her "anemone" and defended it against everything and everyone, including her hapless mate. If I hadn't had to move and find them a new home (I didn't have room for a big enough tank at my new place), I expect she eventually would have let him share.

gnashty
03/29/2010, 12:49 PM
My female took the nem first, i was so sad becuase they have been together over 3 years and never more than a couple inches from each other. then I saw the female hosting and the male all the way across the tank by the overflow. the next day they were both hosting, although the male just gets the outskirts

timjoemak
03/30/2010, 06:33 AM
I have another question that I would like to ask hoping to receive some feedback about it.
Do clownfishes normally feed their host anemones? because mine doesn't or will it soon? >< Thanks :)

timjoemak
03/30/2010, 08:53 AM
OMG back to the clownfish hosting the anemone, the large one is constantly chasing the small one from its so called 'boundaries'. Will this last for long? Or will she somehow accept him? >< I feel the pain of the smaller clown.. :(

Toddrtrex
03/30/2010, 09:05 AM
I have another question that I would like to ask hoping to receive some feedback about it.
Do clownfishes normally feed their host anemones? because mine doesn't or will it soon? >< Thanks :)

JMO.

They don't actively feed the anemone. However some clowns will bring bigger pieces of food to the anemone. I think of it like a dog who buries a bone -- they are just taking it to a safe place to eat later. They aren't smart enough to figure out that the anemone ate it.

Also, some clown will actually pull food from the anemone when you feed the anemone -- that is what my pink skunk pair attempts to do.

NewJerseyreef
03/30/2010, 09:44 AM
i notice that when i put krill in the tank for my serpent star i have to block the clowns from it because they will steal it from the star and give it too the anenome. but with smaller foods they never do it. my female sleeps in the anenome and the male kinda gets an edge. kinda like what my girlfriend does to me in the bed and occasionally she will wake up and kick him out. seems normal to me after a few seconds he kinda sneeks back into the side

timjoemak
04/01/2010, 04:02 AM
Huge problem guys,

The larger clownfish is constantly attacking the smaller clownfish. What should I do? Is it a natural process that whenever the small one is near the anemone the large clownfish will strike? >< coz mine is definitely doing so ><

timjoemak
04/01/2010, 05:57 AM
Do I need to remove the smaller one? Well he's not injured at all, no nipped fins nothing but it's just so painful to see him being constantly attacked by the bigger one ><

Slickcg33
04/01/2010, 10:40 AM
It was already answered that it is completely normal. Especially if your little one isnt getting actual damage, and its only happening when HE comes near the anemone. Be patient, it can take a couple weeks.

Moos3
04/01/2010, 02:37 PM
It was already answered that it is completely normal. Especially if your little one isnt getting actual damage, and its only happening when HE comes near the anemone. Be patient, it can take a couple weeks.

Or months... :worried2:

timjoemak
04/01/2010, 07:49 PM
Guy's im really saddened today. >< Yesterday after I finished typing this post, and I turned my tank lights off, the larger clownfish really got RID of the smaller one, and I found the small one dried on my table, it was just so sad to see it there. ><

I am still thinking of getting a new one but if it would be one, would I need to get a smaller one? A larger one? Or how possible is it that I get an australian black and white clownfish? >< Sighh I just don't know what to do.. :(

Slickcg33
04/01/2010, 08:34 PM
Guy's im really saddened today. >< Yesterday after I finished typing this post, and I turned my tank lights off, the larger clownfish really got RID of the smaller one, and I found the small one dried on my table, it was just so sad to see it there. ><

I am still thinking of getting a new one but if it would be one, would I need to get a smaller one? A larger one? Or how possible is it that I get an australian black and white clownfish? >< Sighh I just don't know what to do.. :(

well first put a top to your tank so that wont happen again. If you want to try another pairing, get a much smaller clown.

jonnybravo22
04/01/2010, 08:59 PM

I think it depends on the fish and the anemone and is case by case. I have seen my percula actively feeding my gigantea anemone. he recently began a hosting relationship and when i fed him the other week i saw him grab some food and right away swim to the anemone and just hold the food out, pressing it against the nem's tentacles and the nem grabbed it. a few days later when feeding i saw him do it again, this time shaking the food about in the tentacles until the nem grabbed it.

as i said he only recently began hosting -- i dont know if this is part of that process or not. i also wouldnt say i notice it every time i feed so it seems to be a rare and fortunate thing to witness. i have heard of some species of clowns doing this routinely.

sorry to hear about your loss

timjoemak
04/02/2010, 12:08 AM
After my clownfish died, another problem appeared. >< My still alive so called female clownfish is not eating and it's upper part of its body is turning dark orange. Why is that so? ><

and he's not in the anemone but under the anemone where the foot is>< This is just too odd to even see. :( please help me out. I don't want another want to die as well :(

timjoemak
04/02/2010, 07:15 PM
Today, the clownfish did not go near the anemone at all and its been having breathing difficulties with its mouth trying to grasp for air >< Sigh, what on earth is happening to my clownies ><

Moos3
04/02/2010, 07:25 PM
Today, the clownfish did not go near the anemone at all and its been having breathing difficulties with its mouth trying to grasp for air >< Sigh, what on earth is happening to my clownies ><

Clowns mature and gain coloration, but gasping for air? Have you posted your tanks parameters in this thread yet? If not, do so immediately so some of the more experienced members can attempt to diagnose the issue.