PDA

View Full Version : Sediment filter clogging quickly

RRaider
03/29/2010, 10:35 AM
My sediment filter clogs very quickly and turns a redish brown. Should I add a larger micron filter in front of it to take some of the load off the current filter?

Buckeye Hydro
03/29/2010, 11:44 AM
A couple of things to think about here.

Assuming that what you are seeing on the cartridge is just sediment, then you could:
1. Just accept that you have high sediment loads and change the filter frequently, or
2. Add sediment filters to share the load and reduce the frequency of filter changes. You didn't mention the pore size on the sediment filter you have, but assuming it is a 1 micron, you could add a 5 micron filter in front of the 1 micron. Additionally, you might want to use our larger housings and filters (e.g., 4.5" x 10) to add a whole house filter using something like a 20 micron sediment filter.

The other thing that comes to mind is that the reddish color you mention is indicative of iron in your water. Do you know if that is the case?

Russ

RRaider
03/29/2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if it's iron or not. If it is do I need to do something different?

Buckeye Hydro
03/29/2010, 02:51 PM
If the levels of iron are low, a water softener can help. If they are higher, for intensive (and expensive options are available.

Russ

RRaider
03/29/2010, 02:59 PM
Well sediment filters are cheap so I'll probably just add a 5 micron in front of my 1 micron. I don't feel like digging up my water line or tearing into a wall to install a whole house filter.

RRaider
03/29/2010, 03:05 PM
Of course I did recently have two water line issues lately, first I had to replace the water line running to my house and then the city had a main break out in the alley behind our house (I had to change filters shortly after each event) so maybe that is the problem. I'll see how long this one lasts.

Buckeye Hydro
04/01/2010, 04:25 AM
Of course I did recently have two water line issues lately, first I had to replace the water line running to my house and then the city had a main break out in the alley behind our house (I had to change filters shortly after each event) so maybe that is the problem. I'll see how long this one lasts.

These sort of things can be expected to dump a big pulse of sediment into the lines for sure.

Russ