PDA

View Full Version : Finger leather texture

PghFishNerd
03/29/2010, 10:48 AM
Hi guys. I'm new here, and I have a strange question that someone here may miraculously have the answer to. I got a finger leather coral from a VERY reputable fish store in my area on Friday and when I was acclimating it, I moved it from the bag to the bucket. Trying to touch only the rock it was attached to, I accidentally touched the coral itsself and it was hard. It felt course... Is that normal? I expected to be soft and rubbery like my toadstool. At first all I could think was " I just bought a completely dead coral." but when I put it in the tank, my coral banded shrimp bumped it and it started excreting that milky substance they use for defense. I know most reefers don't go around molesting their corals to feel the texture, LOL but does anyone somehow have any experience with this? I will post a pic if it helps but i'm at school on my iPod touch right now. Thanks for reading. Hope my first RC post brings me new knowledge. :)

gkb
03/30/2010, 03:01 AM
Indeed, a photo would help. However, this doesn't sound abnormal to me (I have about 15 leathers/neptheae).

gkb
03/30/2010, 03:02 AM
Good lord, here we go with the double posts again.

atrox
03/30/2010, 07:48 AM
Absolutely normal, when stressed they release a lot of water. The texture in turn feels tough and rubbery. Let it acclimate, and we all touch molest corals from time to time.

PghFishNerd
03/30/2010, 08:12 AM
Ah ha! Thanks guys! This is very helpful info. So is it the general concensus thAt the hard texture is a result of stress that will go away when it settles in? In other words, should I be nervous if it stays like this?

gkb
03/30/2010, 01:25 PM
No need to be nervous.

Note that the "settling in" can take quite some time. Be very patient.

If you start to notice any part of the leather turning black, then it's time to panic. Until then, just enjoy watching your leather "find its place."