PDA

View Full Version : QT Snails or Emerald Crab?

dankoos
03/29/2010, 03:48 PM
Should I QT turbo snails or an emerald crab? If yes, what will they eat in a tank that has no substrate or rock?

innate1
03/29/2010, 03:52 PM
I never have I think you'll be ok to just acclimate to temp and let em do their thing

IPowderBlueTang
03/29/2010, 03:52 PM
I usually dont Qt inverts, just dont put the Lfs water in your tank.

thebkramer
03/29/2010, 03:55 PM
Its actually a good idea to put them in QT. heres on link for further info

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

Mopar Reefer
03/29/2010, 04:53 PM
I usually dont Qt inverts, just dont put the Lfs water in your tank.

Agreed and I've never had any problems yet.

tangzzz
03/29/2010, 06:55 PM
It all depends on how strict you are with the quarantine process and if you have quarantined all the livestock in the tank. Some people don't quarantine anything I on the other hand after too many bad experiences quarantine everything. Inverts can't get ick but can be carriers of it. I was also given a small plant once which I did not quarantine, short story I got an infestation of planaria flat worms. I myself no longer take chances with anything.

dankoos
03/29/2010, 07:04 PM
I don't mind putting the snails and crab in the QT as I have a couple fish coming in the same order, my only concern is what they will eat in a tank that has little to no algae and no rock...what will they eat? Will they eat the seaweed sheets?

tangzzz
03/29/2010, 07:37 PM
They'll eat algae wafers and pellets. The only thing about adding the inverts with fish in quarantine is that you will have to separate the inverts to another tank if you have to medicate the fish.

tangzzz
03/29/2010, 07:43 PM
Try reading this - http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quarinvertfaqs.htm there is a lot of information on this web site. Some people might feel their advice is too conservative, but it has helped me a lot. I would prefer not to quarantine inverts with fish.

SuperNemo
03/29/2010, 08:18 PM
could you use cupramine on the inverts

tangzzz
03/29/2010, 08:42 PM
No, cupramine will kill inverts. To quarantine the inverts, just leaving them fish less should be enough. I normally quarantine inverts 4 weeks, some might think I'm crazy but i have not seen ick in over three years. I just rather prevent things, than having to stress out later, wasting time and money on lost fish or medication. There is a small chance of inverts carrying ick, some prefer to skip quarantine for inverts while others don't want to chance it.

Manwolf
03/29/2010, 09:46 PM
i have never qt inverts

IPowderBlueTang
03/29/2010, 09:46 PM
Even Qt does not guarantee sucess. I am not here to argue with anyone over QT or not.
Just my frustrating experience. I Qt 5 new fish 3 inch Whitecheek tang, 2 inch fuzzy dwarf lion, 3 inch black volitan lion, 3 inch Dogface Puffer and a 2 inch Picasso Trigger for 4 weeks in copper and then parizo pro later. All fish was healthy and I put them in my 180 gal fowlr DT. Two weeks later the Tang started to have an outbreak of ich it spread to everyone. I Qt the whole gang for 4 weeks in hypo this time, The Tang died while in treatment. Some fish with every precaution will still infect your tank. I could not put a cleaner shrimp in the tank or it will become lunch. I have not been infected so far by not Qt inverts in the last 20 years. But if others Qt their invert they are taken more precautions and is a good practice. If you are patience and Qt everything you will have more sucess in this hobby.

Just my 2 cents of experience!

tangzzz
03/29/2010, 10:27 PM
Correct, having the patience and qt everything "since the beginning" will lead to more success.

SuperNemo
03/30/2010, 02:43 PM
tang, i know can you tell me which sponge filters are best for one time use. i.e. usage of cupramine means that the sponge filters could not be reused. If you can provide a link, would be great.

tangzzz
03/30/2010, 07:43 PM
I used the aquaclear power filter from http://www.marinedepot.com/filters_hagen_aquaclear_power-ap.html. Under the replacement parts look at the foam block, this is the foam/media that I use with it; I usually buy the 3 pack. If you already have a tank running, throw the blocks in the sump for a few weeks to seed them, then pull them out and place in the power filter with Display water and a heater. The quarantine tank will be ready. If you don't have a tank it is best to seed the sponge, or cycle the tank, or else you will require to do many water changes to keep the ammonia low, but It will be harder this way if you decide to dose Cupramine. I noticed the cupramine did not disrupt my filter bed, so i did not have ammonia problems.