PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate and Nitrite?!!

martlones
03/29/2010, 04:09 PM
help on bringing my nitrite and nitrate levels down???:sad2:

thebkramer
03/29/2010, 04:12 PM
need more info about your tank. What size, what equipment, livestock, all water parameters. then we can hopefully give you best plan

Bigshow
03/29/2010, 04:12 PM
Water changes. How often do you do them. How old is your tank. ect What exactly are you perimeters?

innate1
03/29/2010, 04:27 PM
need tank specs like stated above, if you don't know something that's cool just give way more info than you have so far

martlones
03/29/2010, 04:53 PM
ok.. i have a 75 gal with abot 70 lbs of LR... i have a powder tang a yellow tang a clownfish and 3 damssles.. i also have a cleaner shrimp and invertabrates...

nitrate 160ppm
nitrite .5-1.0 ppm
ph 7
no amonia

waht cause nitrtates to even rise that high? anything else i need to post?

Bigshow
03/29/2010, 05:22 PM
Definately need a water change try about 10 to 15 gallons first wait a day and check levels again. Also ph is quite low you need some buffer but try the water change first it might help with the ph as well. How often do you change water? I recommend 20 to 30 % a month spread out monthly.

thebkramer
03/29/2010, 05:25 PM
what do you feed them, how much and how often?? do you add anything else in tank?

Everyone will agree that you need a water change :) and that pH is low. Do you use a 2 part Calcium (I'm guessing not)?

thegrun
03/29/2010, 06:02 PM
How long has the tank been set up? It is unusual to have issues with nitrites in a tank that has been fully cycled, the bacteria usually convert it all into nitrates. There are a few ways to deal with nitrates. Frequent water changes (at least weekly for you until you get the levels down below 30, reduce the amount of feeding, a protein skimmer, and a refugium will all help.

returnofsid
03/29/2010, 07:53 PM
If you have nitrites, your tank is cycling, and shouldn't have any fish in it.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/30/2010, 08:16 AM
What test kits are you using?

The nitrite, if real, may be impacting the nitrate testing.

Chiefsurfer
03/30/2010, 08:47 AM
^+1

A problem with Nitrite is usually do to improper filtration, or not ENOUGH filtration(Live Rock). The nitrite might be screwing with the nitrate test(or so I have heard). That doesn't mean that your nitrates are low, they could still be very high. High nitrates are the result of something you are using that produces nitrates, OR you do not have enough denitrification bacteria(turning nitrate into nitrogen gas), OR you do not do enough water-changes. One of those 3 is my best guess as to why the high nitrates.

How big are the fish that you DO have in there? How much and how often do you feed them? I assume you feed your tangs nori, how long do you leave it in there? All of those can contribute to nitrate problems.

Matt850
03/30/2010, 10:58 AM
How fast did you add these fish and how old is the tank? It could be that you overwhelmed the biological filtration and it is trying to catch up. You should be doing weekly/bi-weekly water changes of 10%/20% and if you are doing this then your parameters should stay in check. as they are it will take a long while to get them back down to normal. A 15g water change isn't going to help all that much. You are looking at bringing down your nitrate by 32 in this case. Personally I would do a very large water change but you could stress the fish out easily if you do this. You have to make sure that the pH, temp, and salinity are all exactly the same.

martlones
03/30/2010, 11:20 AM
Definately need a water change try about 10 to 15 gallons first wait a day and check levels again. Also ph is quite low you need some buffer but try the water change first it might help with the ph as well. How often do you change water? I recommend 20 to 30 % a month spread out monthly.

we do water changes like you said 20- 30% a month and the fishes have been in there for almost 2 months.. we feed them a varity of foods like sea weed, rods food ( hervivore blend), emerald entree and garlic suplements, also flakes.... my tank has ben set up for 6 months already and 3 fish are like 3 in and the other 3 like 1 in big...

i will do a water change eventho i just did one last week to see if that helps.. if not what else can i do?

Saltyllama
03/30/2010, 11:39 AM
Stop feeding flakes. They are pretty much the worst food you can feed. Move towards sinking pellets (like dianotchi) and frozen foods. Rinse all frozen foods in tank water or RO water before feeding the tank.

One other thing: Are you actually seeing the nitrate numbers go down after water changes? If you are not then I'd look into your test kit. It could be bad and throwing you off.

HHIreefer843
03/30/2010, 12:46 PM
what equipment are you using???? filtration, skimmer???

t00lfan
03/31/2010, 04:47 AM
answer questions above and also very possible you are over feeding. You need to make sure you do regular testing so it doesn't get to half of what your nitrates are reading...and that is pushing it.

spw4949
03/31/2010, 06:12 AM
I would first confirm nitrites are present & it's not a false reading, as far as dealing with high nitrates; ideally you should be doing weekly or bi-weekly water changes, whatever your regimen is it obviously isn't enough to keep your levels at acceptable ranges, IME a series of large water changes will work best to get your levels down & then switch your current regimen to 10% weekly or 20% bi-weekly, I would recommend you do a 25 gallon H20 change every 3 or 4 days & do that at least 4 times.....then retest....also feed once a day, no more than that, it isn't necessary, if you have a FOWLR set-up you should shoot for a nitrate level of no more than 20, if you have corals try & get as close to 0 as possible, nitrate affects fish at high levels over extended periods of time(many many months) they will eventually succumb to nitrate poisoning so the sooner you get those levels down the better......

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/31/2010, 06:25 AM
Stop feeding flakes. They are pretty much the worst food you can feed.

What makes you say that? Some flake foods are quite good, IMO.

thebkramer
03/31/2010, 06:31 AM
Stop feeding flakes. They are pretty much the worst food you can feed.

What makes you say that? Some flake foods are quite good, IMO.

I can't help but to feed flakes. I enjoy the feeding frenzy!!!!
I don't use alot. But what is the problem with flakes? I use Ocean Nutrition w/Garlic

spw4949
03/31/2010, 07:33 AM
I personally don't feed flakes, almost frozen exclusively with the exception of dainichi pellets from time to time but that is just my preference.... I would agree that most flakes are fine....it's just like everything else, moderation is the key & IMO so many people overfeed that they end up blaming it on the food & not what is truly the issue, their practices........

Hooknose5
03/31/2010, 11:01 AM
water change water change water change!Cutting down on feeding is a good way too...also agree with the flake food...its the worst!

thegrun
03/31/2010, 11:07 AM
Can you add a refugium? I had trouble getting my nitrates below 5 ppm before I add a refugium. Nitrates have been undetectable for over a year now with a refugium.

martlones
03/31/2010, 11:37 AM
thanks! i def did a water change and will do them more often, i also cut down on the feeding hopefully that helps! i will test again soon to see if it has worked...