PDA

View Full Version : Testing Skimmer

SuperNemo
03/29/2010, 08:20 PM
i just got my skimmer in the mail, but am only in the process of purchasing equipment. would like to know if the skimmer works.

can i put it in regular water or a freshwater tank to test it out. i know it would not have proper skimming, but would know that it works. would freshwater fish water cause any problems with the skimmer.

WhoDat?
03/29/2010, 08:43 PM
if you are just testing out the fact that the pump works and it all just works then any water is fine.... however it will not work the same as in saltwater.... it will not make tiny micro bubbles in fresh water...

CyCLoBoT
03/29/2010, 08:48 PM
What brand of skimmer did you get? Usually if its a well known brand then it is safe to assume that it will function properly once you have it running in saltwater. But as G-money1 suggested, test out the pump in regular water since that's the only test you'll be able to do for now.

Mr.Dibbs702
03/29/2010, 09:03 PM
so with a new skimmer you shouldn't put it right into the sump?what is the process for a new skimmer?cause i just got a psk-200 and i was planing on putting it right in the sump.is this bad? sorry suppernemo for asking so many questions on your thread.

WhoDat?
03/29/2010, 09:08 PM
read the first post again....

said they are only in the process of buying equipment..... just wanted to make sure it worked probably before the 30 days to return it runs out......

but if your tank is up and running its fine to drop it in and start using it.... however it will have a break in period...

Mr.Dibbs702
03/29/2010, 09:19 PM
awesome thanks G-money1

SuperNemo
03/29/2010, 10:34 PM
i got a vertex alpha 200, pretty sure it works, but will try it out in regular water to see. thanks for the input. i could mix in some saltwater. i have already purchased the salt and can test it out.

would it create enough bubble to show that micro bubble are being produce.

WhoDat?
03/30/2010, 05:13 AM
Yea that would work.... If you mix it in a container then try it out.... Just make sure salinity is right... But I wouldn't waste the salt... Unless you are ready to start up the tank and can use the saltwater... If it works in fresh water it's gonna work in salt..... You should still see bubbles... Just nit micro bubbles....

SuperNemo
04/10/2010, 10:05 PM
for all who is interested. i just tested the skimmer on my freshwater tank. it actually pulled out quite a bit of skimmate from about 1.5 hrs of operation.

Who ever said they dont work on freshwater has not used a vertex skimmer on there tank.

Makes me want to buy another for it, even though its not meant to be used that way.

hopple5
04/11/2010, 01:06 AM
i take it that a skimmer depends a lot on the restriction of flow available, and more so how much air its suckin? guess i should read up more on its whole action. Curious...skim it up:beer: