PDA

View Full Version : getting apex to connect via web

chernandez
03/29/2010, 08:27 PM
Been a couple of days trying just cant figure it out. Its no problem through my computers at home but any that are not on my router nothing. I have a belkin router i port forward my ip of apex to port 80 i setup a dyndns account and installed the dyndns updater. i used a port checker and port 80 is not open i allowed port 80 to be access through windows firewall. Thats about all my knowledge in computer any help would be great.

RussM
03/29/2010, 09:19 PM
It's possible that your ISP is blocking port 80 outbound to you. You might need to use an alternative port, like 8080 or 8888.

HeneryH
03/30/2010, 08:13 AM
Yes, often ISPs block incoming port 80 request. In addition to port forwarding look up how to do port remapping so that incoming requests to a port such as 1080, 8080 or any other non-reserved port get internally remapped by the router to 80.

Then you'd connect to your Apex from the internet by using http://your.dyn.dns.name.com:1080

RussM
03/30/2010, 08:43 AM
I worked with him last night via phone, and his router is being stubborn... nothing worked, not even DMZ mode.

Chris, regarding those mysterious port forwarding rules that kept popping up... I think I know why. Do you have DirecTV?

chernandez
03/30/2010, 09:02 AM
Yes the router connected to the directtv itried restoring the router still nothing going to get a new today thanks for your help trying to figure it out

RussM
03/30/2010, 09:33 AM
The DirectTV system uses those 27xxx ports for video on demand. It creates those port forwarding rules automatically using a feature called Universal Plug and Play. I ran into a problem once before with a router that had problems with manually-created rules not working when UPnP was enabled... your case might be similar.

chernandez
03/30/2010, 04:51 PM
Got it used a new router 10 min i was done.
Thanks Russ for the help

RussM
03/30/2010, 05:14 PM
:dance:

chernandez
06/28/2010, 12:25 PM
Can somebody help me out again on this worked fine for awhile now it wont let me connect through outside web I can only connect through http://apex in my network. My dyndns say unable to determine wan ip: cant update and i have no idea what to do.

HeneryH
06/28/2010, 12:44 PM
Your ISP may have changed your IP address.

How are you updating your DynDNS account? The two choices are setting the router to auto-update or running the DynDNS client on your home computer.

chernandez
06/28/2010, 12:56 PM
I have the auto updater on my home computer and my router D-link has the dynamic dns enable

RussM
06/28/2010, 01:23 PM
I have the auto updater on my home computer and my router D-link has the dynamic dns enableYou should use only one or the other. DynDNS will suspend a free account if there are too many updates in a given period of time... they call it a form of abuse.

chernandez
06/28/2010, 02:21 PM
Which one is better to use?

Wes8888
06/28/2010, 02:39 PM
I have a D-Link, but it only support DynDNS. I have no choice but to use DynDNS.

RussM
06/28/2010, 02:47 PM
Chris, there are pros and cons to both options but overall if your router supports dyndns, that is generally the better choice IMO.

Wes, for those with routers that don't support dyndns or do not work reliably/properly, there are software updater clients that can be used.

HeneryH
06/28/2010, 02:56 PM
PC client application:
Advantage - very easy to setup
Disadvantage - you need to have a computer home running for it to update. If you run it on a laptop that roams various networks it could screw things up.

Router configured for dynamic DNS updates:
Pros/Cons are just the opposite of the client.

Wes8888
06/28/2010, 03:00 PM
Yea, I had my wife's computer running the software updater for no-ip.com for awhile. Now that I have a trixbox running at home. Anything that's not live update is just too slow.

chernandez
06/28/2010, 04:56 PM
this is what on the router page what do i put in the username and password
Enable Dynamic DNS :
Server Address : dyndns.com
Host Name : my website
Username or Key : ?
Password or Key : ?
Verify Password or Key : ?
Timeout : (hours)

RussM
06/28/2010, 04:58 PM
what do i put in the username and password
The same ones you used when you created the dyndns.com account.

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 06:37 PM
So i no this is a very old post but im have the same Belkin and i just got an apex. i connected the Ethernet cable from the apex to the belkin and nothing is happening. Any help would be great thank.

Wes8888
03/27/2011, 07:18 PM
Some ISP blocks port 80. You could try to map the port 80 to something else. I uses port 8000+ myself.

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 07:35 PM
cant say im a pc kinda guy, so i havent got a clue on how to do that. i mean i know what an ip address is and a port # but i have no clue how to change any on that stuff

Wes8888
03/27/2011, 09:12 PM
First thing first, you can type in http://apex (assuming you keep you apex the same default name), and you can see your Apex controller's status page right?

If so, go to your belkin's setup page. There should be a port mapping page. I have since changed to a different router now. Can't point you to exactly where that is. Basically, that page would ask you your apex's IP address and the port number. For the outside port, just put in some big port number (i.e. 8080). Once you do that, you should be able to get to your apex from outside using http://<your real IP>:8080

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 09:16 PM
when i type the http://apex into the web browser noting comes up, its just a bunch of web pages like when you type an address wrong

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 09:21 PM
i put in the belkin Cd / manual and the belkin has a firwall, could that cause it to not pop up the apex screen?

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 09:31 PM
i found my belkin LAN > DHCP Client List and it have a few things on my iphone, tv and 3 others that are unknown.

dont know if this helps or not

Wes8888
03/27/2011, 09:32 PM
i put in the belkin Cd / manual and the belkin has a firwall, could that cause it to not pop up the apex screen?

No, not at all. Sounds like it has nothing to do with your router or ISP yet. SOunds like your apex is not configured correctly yet...

I think you need to follow the apex manual and try to get it setup and find out it's IP, ID/PW first...

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 09:55 PM
ok i got a but load of numbers DHCP is set to on

i have the ip, net mask, gateway,

host name is still apex and passwords are all still the default.

DNS server#
Alt DNS #
HTTP port #

thank i have most of this for my cp as well. i thank i found it with the belkin CD

Jfannin
03/27/2011, 09:56 PM
if you want to just give me a call it might be a lot easyer then typing

PM SENT

madreef_7K
03/28/2011, 12:56 AM
ok i got a but load of numbers DHCP is set to on

i have the ip, net mask, gateway,

host name is still apex and passwords are all still the default.

DNS server#
Alt DNS #
HTTP port #

thank i have most of this for my cp as well. i thank i found it with the belkin CD

Jfannin,

I had a similar issue of not connecting to apex. Go into your apex display and go to netsetup menu. In there, you will find ip address of your apex. Just type that ip address in your browser window and you will be connected.

The whole port thing is only if you want to access it from outside of your network. Connect within your home network first and then I can help you connect it from outside.

Jfannin
03/28/2011, 10:00 AM
i tryed that but it doesnt work i get this pop up. know i just noticed that if it says something about firefox and that is what i am using.

The connection has timed out

The server at ###.###.#.## (my apex IP) is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Jfannin
03/28/2011, 10:11 AM
know i just typed in the http://apec into the the Internet Explorer its bringing up my Belkin router setup / status screen.

maybe getting somewhere?

i tried the ip address on Explorer as well but nothing. takes mt to Bing page

Jfannin
03/28/2011, 11:47 AM
well i have called Neptune Inc a few times know and no one is answering the phone, kinda sucks.

Jfannin
03/28/2011, 12:44 PM
just got off the phone with Belkin and they had me change the IP address in the apex controller because i guess the original ip wasnt within range of the belkin. then i call apex because that didnt fix it and belkin said it should but he recaminded calling Apex. got ahold of Apex inc. and he had me reset the apex with the new IP and BLAM IT WORKS. he walked me through it in all of 2 min flat LOL

THANKS APEX / NEPTUNE