PDA

View Full Version : cat sharks in the reef tank?

khaosinc
03/30/2010, 04:59 AM
before people get too excited, these are the usually brackish water columbian catfish sharks

http://www.fishlore.com/profile-columbianshark.htm

I've had two in my sump since pretty much my tank was up and running, and I'm content that they are maxxed out at about 1'. They have also been living with a coral banded shrimp and a lawnmower blenny (who will just not stay out of the sump.)

I want to change my plans a bit with my sump, and they would be much happier with more room. I also know if they go in the tank, I will never get them out.

Anyone have any experience with them in a reef tank. Its just softies left, and I intend to keep with just soft corals for the forseeable future. The only fish (I know of) in there thats really small enough to be threatened is the tomato clown. That would involve getting through a 6" grumpy maroon clown as well.

khaosinc
03/30/2010, 03:09 PM
no opinions today eh?

returnofsid
03/30/2010, 04:28 PM
I believe most of the smaller species of sharks are generally "coral" safe. It's the fish and motile inverts that might become mini meals. I know someone who had a black tipped reef shark, just an hour or so south of you actually, in a large tank. It wasn't originally designed as a reef tank, but over time, corals were added. The shark never messed with the corals.

Just keep in mind that any shark needs LOTS of sandy area, free of live rock, to cruise around in. They also need a very fine sand substrate, to protect their belly from getting scratched, which can quickly lead to bacterial infections, which seem to kill sharks, more than most other fish.

khaosinc
03/30/2010, 04:35 PM
these are closer to catfish than sharks, though they do look like one. Mostly scavengers, but I suspect they would eat anything that fit in their mouths. Not sure if anything in that tank is small enough or not. At this point, I'm just about FO anyway other than some indestructable softies

lousy pic, but it was handy

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Khaosinc/DSC09715.jpg

BioFish
03/30/2010, 04:40 PM
Quick question, How old is that picture? You have (2) 1' catfish in your fuge?

khaosinc
03/30/2010, 06:17 PM
several months to a year or so. They were an emergancy hand me down after a freinds tank failed. There was a dragon goby as well, but it didn't make it through my first surgery

They are a brackish fish that migrates to saltwater as they grow to adults. They were already acclimated to saltwater when I got them

this is today, they are nocturnal mostly and a royal PITA to get a pic.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y228/Khaosinc/new%20tank/003.jpg

guess no one else has tried them

tkeracer619
03/30/2010, 06:29 PM
Catfish are easy to catch. They would probably be first in tank on the hook should you have to get them out that way :)

I would try it... If they have tolerated a shrimp then you might just be ok. Very cool and at this point you already have them in a sump, I am sure they will appreciate the swim room.

Swim at your own risk =]

off your linked site
Diet / Fish Food : Being catfish, they are primarily scavengers. They will constantly be looking for bits and pieces on the bottom of the tank. Give them sinking shrimp pellets, catfish pellets, prepared sinking foods and supplement with live or frozen foods such as blood worms.

"Scavenger" doesn't seem so evil.