PDA

View Full Version : Tank move - rinse sand or not?

Fishamatank
03/30/2010, 05:01 PM
I'm moving from my 55 that has been up for about 6 months into a 120.
The sand varies from 1" - 3" in the tank, and is about 5" in the refugium.

Should I rinse the sand or just move it?

I can't really keep both tanks up since the new tank is going where the old one is. I can put livestock in tubs for a few days, but that's about it.

sabbath
03/30/2010, 05:06 PM
I have done this before and replace all of the sand. All went well. You could rinse it, but that is alot of work!

Funny I just started a close question. But I need to clean most of the rocks too.

problemfixer
03/30/2010, 06:34 PM
I don't know how bad it would be since it's only been 6 months, but over time the sand would be pretty nasty and would probably stir up allot of nitrates if you tried to use it.
I always used new sand when upgrading, and seeding it with the old.

asl4me76
03/30/2010, 06:38 PM
Even within a small amount of time, the nitrate levels would build up in the sand with the nitrate pockets. If you're going to use the same sand, it's perfectly ok to do so. However, if you do .. make sure you rinse that stuff out until it runs crystal clear!

Fishamatank
03/30/2010, 06:40 PM
I want to avoid the diatom bloom that comes with new sand.
I don't think there is too much in the sand, the tank is pretty clean, but I do want to avoid a large release of nutrients and cause a cycle or an algae bloom.

I guess rinsing most of it with old tank water is probably for the best.

asl4me76
03/30/2010, 07:09 PM
I want to avoid the diatom bloom that comes with new sand.
I don't think there is too much in the sand, the tank is pretty clean, but I do want to avoid a large release of nutrients and cause a cycle or an algae bloom.

I guess rinsing most of it with old tank water is probably for the best.

You will have high levels of nitrates. If you are using old sand, rinse all of it. Not just some of it, because you think it is "pretty clean." What you may think is pretty clean, is not the reality of the situation. You start getting nutrient build up in the sand pretty quickly.

You can either choose to take the advice that has been given and that is your right. Or don't, and learn a very valuable lesson out of it. Your choice :D

Skins
03/30/2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Fishamatank;16869781]I want to avoid the diatom bloom that comes with new sand.
/QUOTE]

I have never had a bloom with new sand in lieu of old rinsed. Guess I got lucky.

dhammers06
03/30/2010, 08:03 PM
i rinsed my sand in saltwater when i upgrade and put all my old sand in my fuge and new in my tank it worked well no problems. imo i think everybody tries there own thing and some get lucky and some don't ive done some stupid things looking back but i have also learned a ton.

r-balljunkie
03/30/2010, 08:47 PM
light rinse, and reuse. keep some of the good bacteria you worked so hard to get......i have done it on every tank move, upgrade.

c

jayk198030
03/30/2010, 08:53 PM
just move the sand and a do a water change. and good luck with the bloom no matter how you do it.