PDA

View Full Version : could i should i add more flow?

nature boy
03/30/2010, 09:43 PM
I have a 75 gallon reef with mostly sps. The tank is 9 months old. I have some bad cyano. I have gone through most of the checklist as far as how to get rid of it. Except for adding more flow. Not sure if I need it. I have two modded maxijet 1200s with the large props. Plus my 300 gph return. So if those maxis are doing 2000 gph supposedly plus my return. Thats 4300 gph in a 75. Do I need more? If so what would be a suggestion on how to add flow?

sdc19982002
03/30/2010, 09:49 PM
I dont know that you need to add more, you just need to re-direct it to get more flow to your dead zones. I'd play around with placement before buying more powerheads,

mcoomer
03/30/2010, 11:13 PM
Look at a Vortech MP40. I've got two in my 5' long 125 and they're great. Lots of random flow and very easy to setup. I bit pricey but very nice.

h2oimports
03/30/2010, 11:37 PM
redirect flow +1, or add some power heads you have laying around to experiment, vacuum alot of it out as water change, raise magnesium if its too low, try to stay away from addictives that remove cyano.

McCrary
03/31/2010, 12:00 AM
4,300 gph in a 75 gallon is usually enough flow. If you do have 4,300 gph in your 75 gallon tank and still have cyano your problem may be water quality. Try vacuuming the sand and doing more frequent water changes for a little while and see if that helps. Each tank is different, but generally I have found that doing water changes makes things better.

Coral_Craig
03/31/2010, 01:52 AM
I agree. 4300 gph is pretty good for a 75, although a little more really couldn't hurt, as long as it's not blasting any corals or creating a sand storm.

I think trying to redirect the flow would be best at this point, besides water changes and the like.

I find that there always seems to be a fine line in setting up the flow in a tank. You want a nice, random, almost chaotic flow that gets to most areas of the tank. In order to do this you normally need direct the flow to hit a wall, the rocks, and even other streams of flow. However in doing this you can be wasting a lot of the energy of the flow and thus sort of making it less then what you think is actually there.

Play around with it and see what happens.