PDA

View Full Version : Hlle in qt

dun2run
03/31/2010, 08:15 PM
I just finished qt-ing my yellow tang, blue hippo, royal gramma, and firefish with Cupramine for 4 wks. I started noticing a few very tiny spots on the yellow tang about halfway through the treatment and now the blue tang is showing signs.(yellow is not looking so good now). I did alot of research and am positive it is HLLE. My question is Now that the treatment is over, would it be wise to move the fish to the DT to possibly relieve a little stress from the qt, or should I leave them in for further observation?

Just some side info: I am feeding the tangs lots of nori and formula 2 pellets.
Nitrates got pretty high about a week ago (doing partial water changes every other day since then). Started using carbon to remove the copper.

tibob32
03/31/2010, 08:25 PM
I'm pretty sure carbon doesn't remove copper. Carbon binds with organic compounds

JHemdal
04/01/2010, 06:09 AM
tibob32,
I was taught for 40+ years to use carbon to remove copper....turns out that it doesn't really do that, like you said. Just one of those ideas that get going and never seem to get corrected.

dun2run,
You might want to search carbon and hlle, or look at the thread a few below this one. There is a strong link to carbon use and formation of HLLE. Can you post pictures of your fish?

Jay

dun2run
04/01/2010, 05:03 PM
Cant get pictures. They are really small and move way to fast to get a good shot. Just a description, the yellow tang is very faded in the face and down his lateral line. The hippo has a few small discoloration spots on the face and the lateral line is visible. (not faded but you can see a line going down either side) The only carbon i used is what was in the filter pad that I put in the HOB filter after dosing the copper.
Would it be a good idea to put them back in the DT at this point? (125 gal)
Im wondering if it will make them feel a little better with a more "natural" setting.

dun2run
04/02/2010, 01:07 PM
bump. Anybody have suggestions on putting them back in the display tank?