PDA

View Full Version : Chiller for 28 nano?

JJIM
03/31/2010, 10:29 PM
Anyone reccommend a decent chiller for the 28 gallon nano. I had hoped that it would not come to this, but with the temp at 77-78 in my house now that we are getting warmer days it appears my tank is running a bit hotter. Needless to say I am not liking the idea of already running my AC when the temp outside is only in the high 70's to low 80's. I have looked a the JBJ 1/15 thus far, but I have no frame of reference really.... any ideas welcome please!!!

SlvrSurfRidr
04/01/2010, 10:24 AM
won't need more (or want to pay for more) than an Arctica Titanium Chiller - 1/15 HP

sbaddley
04/01/2010, 12:59 PM
I have a JBJ 28g HQI and use the Arctica--it keeps the temp to my setting (78*) +/- 1*.

JJIM
04/01/2010, 03:15 PM
Is the Arctica Titanium Chiller - 1/15 HP considered the benchmark standard for quality and price... say over a JBJ?

Second question and looking into the future, how large of a tank could this 1/15 chiller sustain given normail operating house temps if I were to ever upgrade?

SlvrSurfRidr
04/01/2010, 03:21 PM
haha - the Arctica Titanium IS the JBJ chiller. All the details you need are here:
http://www.jbjchillers.com/contents/en-us/d759_jbj-nano-chiller.html

sbaddley
04/01/2010, 03:22 PM
The Arctica is a JBJ Chiller (JBJ Mini-Arctica Chiller w/ Digital Controller 1/15HP). The 1/15 is rated up to 40 gal.

JJIM
04/01/2010, 06:22 PM
Well that was easily answered I guess +), silly mua... thanks again!

JJIM
04/01/2010, 07:46 PM
if I get the 1/15 JBJ Artica Chiller 1/15hp listed here " http://www.jbjchillers.com/contents/en-us/p10802_jbj_mini_Chiller.html " do I need any other accessories? i.e pump, hoses, etc?

sbaddley
04/01/2010, 08:14 PM
I would order the Chiller Installation Kit - http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_Nano_Mini_Arctica_Chiller_Installation_Kit_Accessories_for_Aquarium_Chillers-JBJ_Lighting-JB1211-FICHCA-vi.html

mullinsd2
04/01/2010, 08:31 PM
Have you tried the fans on the back and an ato? It really does work... The fans are easy to take off and with a reef keeper they are really efficient and won't use no way near as much electricity as a chiller! If I had the money, i'd get a chiller too for peace of mind but my temps haven't soared yet and I had an 86 degree day today, so I feel pretty confident in them.

JJIM
04/01/2010, 08:50 PM
Can you elaborate Mullinsd2? Also, when you say 86 degree day, what was the room temp that the tank was in, as this can vary substancially depending on the house and location of the tank.... ie basement or upstair of house. That noted I am guessing you mean placing a fan over the back overflow and or the HOB fuge to airate/cool the surface of the water while having a controller regulate the fans turning on and off based on tank temp? I am just wondering if a fan can keep the tank reasonably cool. If my house is at 77 degrees or so and my lights and pumps raise the temp another 7-8 degrees that puts me at 84-85 degrees ( l like to keep my tank between 77 low end and 82 top end). Can the fans keep up with that given the much of the tank is closed off with a lid other than the overflow chamber?

mullinsd2
04/01/2010, 09:20 PM
It says you have a led tank in your sig, so you must just have an abnormally warm room. Leds shouldn't heat your tank much at all. It was 86 outside and I guess about 75 inside, but I run the halide hood. I have yet to have my tank go over 81.5, and I only have my fan come on once the tank reaches 81. The only sps I have right now is a monti digitata, but it's getting good growth. And yes there are fans called azoo that just attach to the rear "sump" of the jbj. I got mine for free, they came from a machine my dad works on and it works great. I guess if you have a really hot room, you may need a chiller, or you could just move the tank LOL. Anythins better than spending 300 bucks like that IMO.

JJIM
04/01/2010, 09:33 PM
Yes, ideally that LED's do run cool, but I have several pumps in the tank which tend to boost up the tank temp quite a little given the tank is essentially enclosed and not very much water. I have 5 pumps in the water, all of which contribute to the increased heat. I would love to do without a chiller; however just seeing my house temp get to 77-78 (which is where I keep the ac at in the summer) prompted me to ask questions about the chiller. In the winter time it was easy to keep the temp regulated as I keep my house temp at 74 during the day and 69 at night. So even when my tank heats up with the lights on during the daytime the outside room temp of my tank helped to push my temps back down significantly, especially at night. My tank is the same room as my thermostat, so I know the room temp at any given moment. I am liking the suggestions though.... =)

mullinsd2
04/01/2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I also didn't think of all the stiff you have hanging ok the back. Your surface area for the air to water would probably be a lot less than mine. I don't run a skimmer or fuge on the back. I also only have one pump outside of the 2 returns which is a maxi jet 1200 for flow.

mr9iron
04/04/2010, 10:51 AM
I have the Current 1/10 horse power chiller with a maxi jet 1200 on my 28 and it works well this far. You can find great deals here on the used equipment forum.