PDA

View Full Version : What size pump?

WhoDat?
04/01/2010, 06:41 AM
I bought a chiller... its recommended flow rating is 1000-2000 gph. I have no room for this chiller anywhere by the tank.... so the plan is to put it in the room upstairs above the tank.... I will be about 9 feet up and about 5 feet over from the actual tank.... I have a 90 gallon bowfront..... My plan is to have this go from fuge-chiller-tank return...... what pump would work best for this application???

mfinn
04/01/2010, 08:22 AM
Here is the head loss calculator.
http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

After a 9' drop from the chiller to the display tank, I would think the bubbles and splashing would be huge.

I have my chiller 11'-12' from my tank out on my patio and I had to go through 2 walls, but it's on the same level. I could go pretty much any distance ( with-in reason ) as long as it's on or near the same level.

WhoDat?
04/01/2010, 09:11 AM
Well I have heard of people putting their chillers in the attic, how do they do it? It would be pretty much the same thing....??? Should I route the chiller back to the sump or should it be like I said earlier with the output going directly to the tank...... I don't see how it can splash.... The output will come down the wall then curve back up to connect to the underneath of the tank.... But I may be missing something???

mfinn
04/01/2010, 09:16 AM
Maybe I'm missing something.
I just see a drop of 9' going straight into the tank. Air and water mixing and then going into the display tank. I'd contact the people who you mentioned had chillers in their attic to see what problems if any they had.

crvz
04/01/2010, 09:19 AM
what chiller is it? that seems like a pretty high flow rate. I run my arctica chiller at a relatively low flow rate (near the bottom of the recommended range) and it does fine, but it's nowhere near 1000 gph.

mfinn
04/01/2010, 09:34 AM
what chiller is it? that seems like a pretty high flow rate. I run my arctica chiller at a relatively low flow rate (near the bottom of the recommended range) and it does fine, but it's nowhere near 1000 gph.

never thought about that part.
I have a 1/2hp chiller and my feed pump is a eheim 1262.
24' of 1" pvc 18 pvc 90's and 6' of height.

WhoDat?
04/01/2010, 09:43 AM
This is a 1hp coralife chiller.... I don't know anyone personally that has put it in an attic... I've just heard it mentioned before....

Yes.... Basically it's falling into the tank.... But... It will come down inside of a wall to underneath the tank inside the stand... Then will curve back upwards to connect to the hose inlet on the bottom of the tank to be pushed back up to the top of the tank where the cool water is discharged into the tank...

I know it's difficult to understand and thankyou for trying to help ... I just don't wanna do something that's not worth it....

thetonyage
04/01/2010, 12:27 PM
if you worked in some kinda catch, or trap, that would divert the water back up before getting to the tank i think it would work. you probably wouldnt even need that big of a pump

WhoDat?
04/01/2010, 06:05 PM
if you worked in some kinda catch, or trap, that would divert the water back up before getting to the tank i think it would work. you probably wouldnt even need that big of a pump

How do you suggest I accomplish this?? :)