PDA

View Full Version : Corals dying and spreading all over!

cece50187
04/01/2010, 08:45 AM
I posted something about this a few days ago. I thought maybe because the alkalinity was too high, my corals were bleaching. I do not think they are bleaching, they do not have any polyps and the skin is shedding somewhat..

I took those out, but it is just spreading all over the tank. Other corals are dying, and now soft corals are dying too. I did large water changes twice. The ammonia is back down to 0. The phospahet is a bit high,(.25) but i doubt that it is cuasing this. I had my phosphate high at one point for reasons thats too long to explain, and nothing like this happened.

One of my anemone has died in the tank, i believe. I cant find it and it is somewhere in the rocks. I have a 175 gallon tank and it would be veryyy hard to take everything out and look for the anemone. I might just do that and wont find anything.

I have no idea what to do. If the ammonia is down, why are things still dying, and is there anything besides water changes i can do. Is the anemone releasing some sort of poison in to the water. Maybe i can dose something that will counteract whatever he is releasing.

Info on tank: Tank established for about 5 years. Calcium at 420. ammonia at 0. pH at 8.00, phosphate at .25. I dose alkalinity once every two weeks, strotnium once every two weeks. Magnesium weekly, Kalkwasser dripping, iodine weekly. I have two phosphate reactors.

HELP!

Blown76mav
04/01/2010, 08:57 AM
What kind of corals? SPS, LPS etc. Have you added anything new recently. How high is your Alk?

cece50187
04/01/2010, 09:07 AM
it is the brown branch coral that started first to die. They are called montipora digitata.
A soft coral doesnt look good either, im trying to find the name of it.

The alk was at about 13.80. I have to check today again.

h2oimports
04/01/2010, 09:29 AM
whats your nitrite/ nitrate?

danbmx
04/01/2010, 11:13 AM
Flesh peeling off sounds like bad salinity
Maybe the anemone poisoned the tank when it died

Toddrtrex
04/01/2010, 11:17 AM
What type of anemone, and how big was it? If it did die in your tank, that would really mess things up, and most likely was the root cause of this -- it caused the ammonia spike. You may have the ammonia down now, but the damage was already done.

troyman
04/01/2010, 11:22 AM
most likly it is from anemone in tank i would put in a large amount of good carbon let it do its thing

Metal Man 1221
04/01/2010, 11:25 AM
not really sure if my input is needed but it sounds like the death of your nem is the cause
i heard of some bad tank crashes from nems getting into power heads and closed loop pumps

btw, if you arnt already running carbon, it will help get any access ammonia, nitrate etc. out, try to stablize your water peramiters

good luck,

Pcrain
04/01/2010, 11:25 AM
I also think the nem is the culprit.... but why did them nem die?? nems can take some punishment. Did the nem die then cause a chain reaction?

flesh pulling off sounds like RTN frag the healthy parts or coral up before the falling off flesh takes the colony, hehe I dont even know if you have acro.
maybe a pic of something

+3 run carbon

cece50187
04/01/2010, 06:19 PM
i will take pics tonight and post them up. I dont know how it died, but im guessing because it went in the back of the rocks and got stuck? or just didnt move and died. I have no idea. I would think if he doesnt like the spot in the back of the tank he would move.
My carbon is in. Today nothing else seemed to have been infected. But yeah the damage has been done. My favorite hard coral looks really bad. Its half white.

dont know the name of the anemone but i seen a picture of it on another forum. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/anemone-dying-146023.html