PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tempered Glass Lense for DE MH Lamp??

Newreeflady
04/01/2010, 10:19 AM
I lost my glass cover for my de halide 250w lamp and the PFO mini pendant is no longer made- where would I get a new one? Do glass shops temper glass? How much should I expect to pay for this?

thanks!!
Angela

DeepFreeze
04/01/2010, 12:50 PM
I would just see if a local glass shop had some. They can more than likely find it if they don't have any onhand.

Newreeflady
04/02/2010, 07:56 AM
I would just see if a local glass shop had some. They can more than likely find it if they don't have any onhand.

So, apparently they have to pay for a 4' x 4' piece, no matter what size cut you are asking for. Price is $45!!! I can buy a new pendant for $95, so probably I'll have to do that and have extra parts. There is NO way I'm paying 45$ for a tiny piece of glass!!!!

:(
-A

arthurlo
04/02/2010, 11:31 AM
Shop around. My local glass shop only wanted ~$25 for a 1/8" thick piece of tempered glass.

They all have to order it from somewhere unless they have the tempering furnace on site.

Newreeflady
04/02/2010, 12:40 PM
Turns out heat tempering 1/8" glass is problematic in that it often doesn't take in glass that thin due to difficulty in differential cooling. Also, warping may occur, as well as optical degradation. Probably looking at chemical treatment for this one...

-A

HaroldT
04/02/2010, 08:19 PM
$45 bucks! That is way too much. You should be paying somewhere around $10 for that glass.

Maybe try Champion or Premium. They may be able to help you since they both were stocking PFO at one time.

Newreeflady
04/03/2010, 09:31 AM
Good call, but I don't know if they'd carry just the glass to sell. I will send e-mails and see, though.

thx,
-A