PDA

View Full Version : My new barnacles -check them out!

euromomtx
04/01/2010, 12:07 PM
I just got some tropical gooseneck barnacles as a gift from a fishstore store (free with purchase). Their shells are so pretty and they are so active and big!
Constantly fishing with their feelers and retracting.

http://www.dominopads.com/barnacle.jpg

rekn
04/01/2010, 12:42 PM
beautiful, wish i could get some

euromomtx
04/01/2010, 12:49 PM
I got them at GCReef. I only ordered a couple of days ago. They probably still have some.
I think their deal was up to two free barnacles for orders over $50 but better call and check if you want them.

iamwhatiam52
04/01/2010, 01:03 PM
I had read they are near impossible to keep thriving in tank.
Has anyone had experience with them?

euromomtx
04/01/2010, 01:19 PM
imawhatiam52 are talking specifically about tropical gooseneck barnacles or barnacles in general?
I got these because the person running that store is a marine biologist and mentioned that these were perfect for reef tanks because unlike some other barnacles these:
a) are reef safe - won't hurt corals
b) are from tropical waters
and
c) are off shore where waters aren't as plankton rich as near shore

iamwhatiam52
04/01/2010, 01:30 PM
Sounds encouraging!
Do all goosenecks live on floating materials, and are you keeping them floating or on substrate?

I had read that barnacles in general do not survive long. I did try some goosenecks that floated up one summer here in NY but with no luck.

LeslieH
04/01/2010, 04:04 PM
Not all goosenecks live on floating objects but the ones Karin has are a species of Lepas which normally do. The problem in keeping them healthy may be food related. Lepas need relatively large food items - copepods, fish eggs, other types of zooplankton - which aren't usually available in reef tanks. Supplemental spot feeding may help.

One very interesting feeding behavior has been documented in Lepas. They will catch small, sick or dead pelagic fish. The fish is held by the cirri while the barnacle feeds. When the lucky barnacle has eaten enough it will bend its stalk & pass the fish over to another barnacle.

euromomtx
04/01/2010, 04:09 PM
Wow that is very cool Leslie! Thanks for the info
I don't think I will have a problem with food. My tank is mainly sun corals, acans and gorgonians plus target fed mandarins and anthias. I feed several times a day (mysis, prawn eggs, blood worms, brine naupli, oyster eggs, cyclopeeze, phyto, etc.)!
In fact the LFS said they weren't any tougher to take care of than gorgonians (which are sort of my thing anyway)

LeslieH
04/01/2010, 06:39 PM
Sounds like you have just the right set up for them. Good luck!