PDA

View Full Version : condy nem in nano tank

FishNutty
04/01/2010, 01:01 PM
so...i just went into a lfs with my grandma....and she got me a condy nem for my ten gallon nano. i'm not sure what to feed it, and i'm seeing posts about them eating fish? the only fish in the tank is a 2 inch perc......
any other info you guys have to share would be great, it's a really pretty purple[not that the color has anything to do with my care of it...], and i want to keep it happy:fun4:
thx

Lanie
04/01/2010, 02:03 PM
My "rosie" loves a small piece of fish - a silverside (sold at lfs) I treat her to this about 2 times a wk. Some people feed them daily

FishNutty
04/01/2010, 02:16 PM
My "rosie" loves a small piece of fish - a silverside (sold at lfs) I treat her to this about 2 times a wk. Some people feed them daily

cool. is there anything i can pick up at the grocery store? there aren't any fish stores near me, my *lfs* are all 40+ minutes away :P

Toddrtrex
04/01/2010, 02:20 PM
so...i just went into a lfs with my grandma....and she got me a condy nem for my ten gallon nano. i'm not sure what to feed it, and i'm seeing posts about them eating fish? the only fish in the tank is a 2 inch perc......
any other info you guys have to share would be great, it's a really pretty purple[not that the color has anything to do with my care of it...], and i want to keep it happy:fun4:
thx

They aren't hosting anemones, so there is a chance that your clown could either; ignore it, be hosted by it, or be eaten by it.

What lights do you have?

FishNutty
04/01/2010, 02:25 PM
They aren't hosting anemones, so there is a chance that your clown could either; ignore it, be hosted by it, or be eaten by it.

What lights do you have?

having the clown host it isn't a *need*....it not getting eaten....yeah, that's kinda a *need* thing, lol!

2 10 watt coralife 50/50 pcs....the guy at the fish store said it was enough:hmm2:

thanks for the help you guys! i feel like a fish out of water here, i always check this stuff out before i buy, but this time, w/g-ma...it's amazing how convincing non-reefers can be:rollface:

Toddrtrex
04/01/2010, 02:30 PM
having the clown host it isn't a *need*....it not getting eaten....yeah, that's kinda a *need* thing, lol!

2 10 watt coralife 50/50 pcs....the guy at the fish store said it was enough:hmm2:

thanks for the help you guys! i feel like a fish out of water here, i always check this stuff out before i buy, but this time, w/g-ma...it's amazing how convincing non-reefers can be:rollface:

Hmm, I am not aware of any 10 watt PC bulbs, would be either 18 watt or 2... unless you are talking about these bulbs,

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8068+9870&pcatid=9870

are those what you have?

FishNutty
04/01/2010, 06:02 PM
Hmm, I am not aware of any 10 watt PC bulbs, would be either 18 watt or 2... unless you are talking about these bulbs,

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8068+9870&pcatid=9870

are those what you have?

yup. stock hood can't have more than 15watts per socket:frog:
it came off the rock the guy sold it to me on, what do i do now?

Chuu
04/01/2010, 06:33 PM
not enough light (ie not even close) and too small a tank, it will slowly die most likely.. if I were you i'd try rehome it mate.

FishNutty
04/01/2010, 08:47 PM
never mind about the rock, i convinced it to go back on :P
don't they use two methods of getting food, photosynthesis from the symbiotic algae and meaty foods? so if my lighting isn't perfect, won't the feeding help remedy that problem?

mthomp
04/01/2010, 09:04 PM
No its going to die, need halides to survive.

yanno i only been in this hobby for 2 months now and i seriously can not understand how people do not research stuff before a purchase. so ill do it for you because it is so hard.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+499+619&pcatid=619

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 09:16 PM
never mind about the rock, i convinced it to go back on :P
don't they use two methods of getting food, photosynthesis from the symbiotic algae and meaty foods? so if my lighting isn't perfect, won't the feeding help remedy that problem?

Thats true, but i dont believe it can be pulled of with this nem. The only nems that i have seen that can be fed a ton to compensate for light are haddonis and thats because in the wild they are use to muddy water which blocks light.

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 09:23 PM

yanno i only been in this hobby for 2 months now and i seriously can not understand how people do not research stuff before a purchase. so ill do it for you because it is so hard.

No need to be so harsh, especially since you have only been doing this for 2 months you have very little experience yourself.

Keep it a non hating site so we could all enjoy and learn

mthomp
04/01/2010, 09:28 PM
you are right i was over the top. but while i have very little experiance i just feel that researching things like this is a no brainer. that nem would still be there tomorow if after a quick google he found he had what it took to keep it alive.

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 09:35 PM
impulse buys happen, from reefers with little experience to ones with many years of experience.

Research is very important though so these creatures not only survive, but thrive

mthomp
04/01/2010, 09:42 PM
I guess i should of added this also. I was at one of my LFS today and saw this same species of nem for 10 bucks. I was like WOW 10 bucks these guys have no clue. This is the same place i got an 12 head acan lord for 30 bucks. I knew i had the lights for it and all but 10 bucks almost too good to be true. after reading about it i found it wouldnt host clowns like i was hoping. So I saved 10 bucks and the frustration of not getting what i thought.

Toddrtrex
04/01/2010, 09:43 PM

you are right i was over the top. but while i have very little experiance i just feel that researching things like this is a no brainer. that nem would still be there tomorow if after a quick google he found he had what it took to keep it alive.

First off, you need to have a better attitude you want to try to help people. Second, if you are going to try to help people you better make sure that the info you are giving is correct.
No its going to die, need halides to survive. Sorry, but that is just plain wrong, think you need to do some more research.

Certain anemones do require MHs, but to make a blanket statement like that is poor advise. A "condy" and even a BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) can be kept under PCs -- I did it with BTAs for 4+ years, and I am not the only one.

mthomp
04/01/2010, 09:47 PM
First off, you need to have a better attitude you want to try to help people. Second, if you are going to try to help people you better make sure that the info you are giving is correct.
Sorry, but that is just plain wrong, think you need to do some more research.

Certain anemones do require MHs, but to make a blanket statement like that is poor advise. A "condy" and even a BTA (( E. Quadricolor )) can be kept under PCs -- I did it with BTAs for 4+ years, and I am not the only one.

so you are saying that the 10+ sites ive read today are all wrong? so yes i made sure my info was correct. there are exeptions to every rule. id have to say you were that exception.

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 10:06 PM
so you are saying that the 10+ sites ive read today are all wrong? so yes i made sure my info was correct. there are exeptions to every rule. id have to say you were that exception.

Many many people have kept BTA's under PCs. I had said earlier haddonis are able to live in low light (PCs) if it was fed enough. No website will say you can keep a Haddoni under PCs.

There are certain tricks and things you learn after a few years of being in the hobby. Experience is not something that can be simply read and then talk about as if you know it.

If there is somebody i would listen to about nems, its Tod

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 10:07 PM
I guess i should of added this also. I was at one of my LFS today and saw this same species of nem for 10 bucks. I was like WOW 10 bucks these guys have no clue. This is the same place i got an 12 head acan lord for 30 bucks. I knew i had the lights for it and all but 10 bucks almost too good to be true. after reading about it i found it wouldnt host clowns like i was hoping. So I saved 10 bucks and the frustration of not getting what i thought.

Your tank wouldn't be mature enough to handle a nem at 2 months, the nem would have been doomed if you bought it. Finally condys are not that expensive, its not rare to find one for $10-$15

mthomp
04/01/2010, 10:14 PM
i realised that after i looked it up.

Toddrtrex
04/01/2010, 10:41 PM

If they stated, like you did, that any anemone would die if not kept under MH, then they are wrong. And I am not the only one who has kept anemones under PCs -- for a couple of years.

jupiter
04/01/2010, 10:53 PM

That's funny. I'm not going to bash you but I think advice should only be given by people who have experience. What I thought was funny is that you thought $10 for a condy was a good buy. Those anemones are cheap. When I was first starting out, I took a $20 bill and bought myself 5 condys from the LFS. Albeit that was 20ish years ago, prices haven't changed that much so $10 sounds normal if not high. BTW, they all died within 6 weeks.

Condys can survive under lower light than some anemones. They require more light than BTAs but this just means BTAs can be kept under lower light than many other anemones.

To FishNutty, you will not have success with that anemone in your tank. It will surely die. Although I will take flak for this you have 2 options: 1) Return it, or 2) Keep it and use it as an experience in anemone husbandry, knowing full well it will die if you don't move it to a better tank. I'm positive it will die in the dealer's tank anyway because a more reputable dealer would have tried to steer you away.

mthomp
04/01/2010, 11:03 PM
i thought it was a good buy because i wasnt familiar with it, hence why i research things before i buy. after research i found that 10 bucks was normal and wasnt the type id want anyway. also im sure you saw where i got a nice coral for realativly free from same lfs because it was mismarked. btw same lfs has a rbta for 15 bucks.

PayasoDelMar
04/01/2010, 11:05 PM
I cant say listen to the person that hadn't posted.

TenKreefer
04/02/2010, 01:25 AM
My clarkii hosted my condy..weird. I would hand feed my condy hikari pellets, gobled them up real quick

jupiter
04/02/2010, 05:15 AM
My clarkii hosted my condy..weird. I would hand feed my condy hikari pellets, gobled them up real quick

This isn't weird at all. Clarkiis are hosted by condys very frequently in the aquarium. If you had to pick a clown to go with it, the clarkii would be the best choice, but it's still possible it could kill the clown.

Bmgrocks
04/02/2010, 06:34 AM
you clownfish anemone nuts are Meanies!

if you upped your Light Fixture to Coralife's 1x96pc bulb
stayed VERY diligent on your water quality, there is NO Reason why that anemone won't do well.

I've done the same, with a Condy, BTA's and LTA's...
you need the appropriate amount of light, and clean water...

I even had a true perc host the condy, it regained all its zooxanthelle, and did well for a year, before I gave it away...

For now, your lighting is Insufficient...Long term success of the anemone is dependent on appropriate lighting. Feeding won't remedy the situation, but rather, prolong the inevitable. It really does need the appropriate amount of light.

Bmgrocks
04/02/2010, 06:35 AM
I'm under the impression that very few CONDY's actually consume their hosts....

anyone have first hand experience, rather than these supposed horror stories?

jasonrp104
04/02/2010, 07:22 AM
You could also put your tank in a spot that catches the sun. My crispa loves it's afternoon sunlight.

jupiter
04/02/2010, 07:22 AM
I'm under the impression that very few CONDY's actually consume their hosts....

anyone have first hand experience, rather than these supposed horror stories?

The anemone is the host, not the clown.

I've lost an occellaris clown to a condylactis. I've also lost a cleaner wrasse. This was many years ago so I can't provide "proof".

Long term success of years with anemones is success, not 1 year. In a 10 gallon tank, perhaps the anemone can survive with diligent water quality practices but in truth, few people are that diligent unless the tank is dedicated. The OP's tank is not dedicated and chances are s/he will take all the risks and make all the mistakes most people do when new to the hobby (or at least new to anemones).

briankmarsh1980
07/18/2010, 07:34 PM
More light is needed I have a condy in my main and a rbta in a 10g under 18w 50/50 pc light but the sun hits that room. And you can feed then cut up pieces of raw shrimp from the grocery store good luck with the nem. Oh and I paid 7.95 for my condy

Edit. And nems don't neem MH for light but condys like high light

FishNutty
07/18/2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks. It didn't end well. The nem got chopped up overnight when it moved under the filter. The whole tank was white and the room smelled like a fish market.

briankmarsh1980
07/18/2010, 07:49 PM
That sucks sorry to hear that. Nothing smells worse then a dead nem. I lost one to a tragic filter incident myself at least it was a cheap nem

FishNutty
07/18/2010, 09:20 PM
That sucks sorry to hear that. Nothing smells worse then a dead nem. I lost one to a tragic filter incident myself at least it was a cheap nem

yup and yup.

clowns101
07/18/2010, 09:23 PM
Im very sorry to hear your anemone "kicked the bucket".Its alright though.This happens often.I hope you get another anemone!I enjoy anemones and think a reef isnt complete with out them!JMHO!So good luck to you!Let me know if you need any help!

Thanks

Toddrtrex
07/18/2010, 09:36 PM
Thing is, it shouldn't happen often.

clowns101
07/18/2010, 09:40 PM
thing is, it shouldn't happen often.

ditto!

NoBigDeal
07/19/2010, 02:02 PM

I've kept a Condy under PCs before and it did fine. Most of the websites you read were probably general outlines of the care anemones need. There is a plethora of websites out there that mislabel and misinform the inexperienced all the time. Even of Reefcentral I often find people sharing information that is just completely wrong, just like you did yourself. You have to have a sharp sense about you from what is right and what is wrong. Read from credible sources.

To the OP, I was more concerned with the small tank size rather than the lighting.