PDA

View Full Version : How to catch a fish? - can't do a search.

rgonzalez
04/01/2010, 01:45 PM
Does anyone have the link to the thread showing how to catch a fish from the tank? Or if you know how, then please let me know. I've heard of "fish traps" but I don't know what those are...

Thanks!

footballdude2k3
04/01/2010, 01:47 PM
1. get fish net
2. place said fish net in water
3. use said fish net to place fish in said net
4. ?????
5. Profit

ctripi
04/01/2010, 01:59 PM
What type of fish?

BEst method I've used is set alarm clock for 3 am......wake up.....turn all display tank lights on.......most fish will be dazzed for a few minutes allowing easy coaxing into a net.......worked for my cardinals and anthias so far.

Grandreef 2
04/01/2010, 02:06 PM
I used a big net as a wall and then used a smaller net to push him into a corner.

rgonzalez
04/01/2010, 02:31 PM
I should rephrase. I'm looking for something where I don't have to take out all the rock in my aquarium. I thought I read about some sort of fish trap. Like a 2 litre bottle?

fishsince3
04/01/2010, 02:46 PM
cut the top third of a water bottle off flip it upside down in the bottom of the water bottle (so the drinking spout is facing down) place food in the bottom. place trap in the tank and weight it down at the bottom if need be. leave in there for a day or two. or am i crazy and this is more for pests such as unwanted crabs

strike2867
04/01/2010, 02:49 PM
What type of fish?

BEst method I've used is set alarm clock for 3 am......wake up.....turn all display tank lights on.......most fish will be dazzed for a few minutes allowing easy coaxing into a net.......worked for my cardinals and anthias so far.

Works great except for wrasses.

rgonzalez
04/01/2010, 04:14 PM
What about on foxfaces?

Works great except for wrasses.

FishyBiz
04/01/2010, 04:24 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1806912

divewsharks
04/01/2010, 04:30 PM
Does anyone have the link to the thread showing how to catch a fish from the tank? Or if you know how, then please let me know. I've heard of "fish traps" but I don't know what those are...

Thanks!

just an fyi:
you can do a search by punching 'fish traps site:reefcentral.com' into your google searchbar. always works.

Octoshark
04/01/2010, 04:43 PM
To make it easier you can lower the water level in your tank to decrease the amount of space it has to run away.

divewsharks
04/01/2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks!
btw: here is a pic of a fish trap
http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Fish_Trap_Fish_Containers_Traps_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Ultralife-UL1511-FIMISC-vi.html

they do come in many sizes and shapes. You might try asking an LFS to borrow one, thats what i've done in the past.

AMIFL
04/01/2010, 08:25 PM
If all else fails, try the old hook and line. Fly fishing shops carry all sorts of small hooks. I couldn't get my fire clown out with traps or nets. Size 20 hook on 10 lb powerpro with mysis was the trick. Fish was fine. I've had to do it with grouper in the past as well.

noahm
04/01/2010, 08:34 PM
1. get fish net
2. place said fish net in water
3. use said fish net to place fish in said net
4. ?????
5. Profit

:lmao:

The underpants gnomes' theory of business...

tmgrash
04/01/2010, 08:38 PM
Cut the top quarter of a 2 liter bottle off. Cut the top of that so that it is just big enough for the fish you are trying to trap can fit through it. Invert it, stick the "top" side down into the bottle and put the fishes favorite food in it. Leave it in the tank long enough for the fish to get used to it, change the food periodically. It worked for me. Good luck.